Newbie needs advice for overnight burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaynes68

Dec 13, 2007
MA
www.corporatecasuals.com
Just got my stove installed, completed some break-in burns and i'm ready to go. My goal is to vastly reduce the amount of oil that I need to buy. I have about 2 cords of reasonably seasoned (not great) wood and an unlimited supply of pallets. My plan is to light the fire when I get home (6PM) and keep it going all night, then load up before I head off to work in the morning (6AM)...and repeat.

My setup is a Dutchwest 2477 with 15ft stack straight up. Temp gauge on stove top and a temp probe 18 inches up the stack.

Last nights fire went like this: Burned a mix of about 50/50 pallet wood and dry maple logs got a pretty decent bed of coals. During this time I closed up the stove and had what I think is secondary burn (wisps of blue flames dancing around out of nowhere etc...could be wrong about this tho) stove temp was 420 and stack temp was 600. When the coals were still pretty red I raked them to the back and loaded up with two 6+ inch splits and a 8 inch split for the night. I let the fresh logs get going for a while and then closed the thing up.

After a while both my temps dropped to 400 top and 450 stack. It looked to me like the fire was not doing so well so i opened the primary air control maybe 15% to heat things up a bit. About 2 hours later I was surprised to see that my logs were a decent pile of coals and were maybe 1 hour from being finished. Woke up this morning and everything was fully consumed.

My guess is that my burn time was 3.5 hours. Some things I think I can do better next time: use the side load door to fit more wood in the firebox, I bet I could have squeezed another log in there from the side door. Also I think maybe opening the air up was a mistake? I don't get the impression that the everburn mode was working when the stove was closed up for the night....fire seemed to smolder.

Wondering if someone with experience can offer advice, tips, etc. This forum is really amazing and has been super helpful in getting me going with my wood stove project...thanks all.

Chris

Seems fine, but if you have to open the door to make it burn well, something is amiss. Either the wood is wet (likely) or you have insufficient draft, which is pretty easy to determine.

The Everburn is not a friendly animal. You will need to get use to it in your own installation, it varies by installation. Varies = how it sounds, what it takes to get it there, what it takes to keep it there and etc.
YOUR biggest clue to how it is working is to go outside and see if you have smoke coming out the flue. No smoke = Everburn is working: SMOKE and it is not. (what you would call stalled). It can take a few times to get it and keep it working. You will know when there is no smoke. AFTER a number of weeks of constant attention you will begin to know what is working. For starters, get it going with coals and etc. Then load and get the stove and stack hot. ( I have good luck with coals and 600 degrees measured 24" ups a single wall pipe). Engage the Everburn and listen for the rumble. (sounds like a blast furnace noise) The rumble may taper off but will always be there a bit. Be careful not to burn your ear listening for it. LOL... Really, go check the stack for smoke. Once you have it working OK, you will find that it will re-engage a bit easier. Load up, get it working again for 30-45 minutes and shut the primary down.
Now, if you think this is a lot to go through for a Burn, you are right: but that is what you get with Everburn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.