Newbie needs help replacing gas logs with insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nearbeer

Nov 29, 2011
Greenville, SC
Thank you for your time. I currently have gas logs in my fireplace and very much want to yank them out and put a wood stove insert in its place. However, I have never seen an insert installed or removed so I am not sure about venting the smoke to the outside. Also, I have been looking at local print ads as well as Craigslist for a used wood stove and have a couple of questions.

First, can I put the insert into the opening, seal around the metal plate that will cover the gap between the insert and the edge of the fireplace opening, and then let her burn? Or, do I need to install pipe on the insert and have the pipe run up the length of the chimney?

Secondly, my damper in the fire place is rectangular in shape and the handle to open and close it is in the middle of it. If I have to run pipe up the chimney, what suggestions do you have to get around the centrally placed handle?

Last, what brand of paint do you recommend for the exterior of the insert? This is most important to the wifey…that the stove looks good.

Again, thanks for your time; any and all advice is appreciated

You'll need to measure the fireplace once the gas burner is removed. That will let you know what size insert you can get in there. If its a small area, you can always chisel the brick, but that can be a major workload. You'll also want to fit the insert to match the sq footage of your house, otherwise you'll get baked out, or still be chilly. If you get an insert, you'll want some flex liner that attaches to your stove and then chiney cap. You may also want to insulate the chimney if it is not already. As far as colors go, you have a lot of brands and designs to choose from, and some come with colored enamel paint. Welcome to the world of wood burning.. it's addictive. Best of luck.

The first thing to do is to be sure that this fireplace can accommodate an insert safely. Not all can. Is this a masonry or prefab fireplace? Was it originally setup for wood? The next step is to have the flue cleaned and inspected. If all is good, and there is a safe clay liner system, you may either install the insert with a stub up to the first tile section or install a full liner. But don't skip those first steps.

Fireplace is masonry/brick. There has been a wood fire at some point in the past but since I am the third owner of this house, it's hard to say when the switch to gas logs was made. I will take you up on your advice to have the flue cleaned and checked over...I'd hate my first wood fire experience to be my last.

Any ideas on how to get around the damper lever being in the middle of the opening?

Again, I appreciate everyone's help.

In search of my next cold one,

NearBeer

nearbeer said:
Any ideas on how to get around the damper lever being in the middle of the opening?
NearBeer

Remove it. You're probably gonna remove the damper anyway, & depending on the width of the
opening, you may hafta remove some of the damper frame as well. Often these items are
cast iron & can be removed with a sawzall, but I've also seen some steel that had to be torched out.
Sometimes you can remove the attachment hardware to get the levers out & once the lever has been
removed, the damper door can be "wiggled" out...Pictures of your current set up may help...

Status
Not open for further replies.