1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Newbie on the Thread

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by hotwaterman, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotwaterman

hotwaterman New Member

Loc:
    NY Finger Lakes
    Hello to Fellow Wood Burners. I am actually a dealer/hydronic person for an unmentioned " Not Econoburn" brand of "So Called" wood gasification units. I have installed or been involved in dozens of OWB and Wood Boiler Applications with good success and satisfaction.
    I am currently (almost formerly) involved with a tankless line of wood boilers. Currently on 2 difficult cases with many problems, the main ones being short burn times and coked up heat exchangers. Both clients burning good quality, seasoned hardwood.

Two totally different houses, 1 forced air, 1 radiant in a slab with DHW from 2 50 gallon Triangle Tube Smart Tanks in series.
    Both cases have short burn times and use a ton of wood.

I am no genius but have to qualify myself as quite experienced in hydronics and water flow. My client is an engineer that works with million dollar hvac systems so together we got at least 1/2 a brain more then most of the manufacturers we have dealt with.

Every direction I go in leads me to believe that the best bet for successfully heating with wood gassifcation is burning a long hot fire and storing the heat in as much water as you can afford ie. tank storage.
    The unit I have been dealing with has a huge concrete refractory that is supposed to store the excess heat. I don't think so ! The unit I have been dealing with is supposed to burn cleanly and not creosote. I don't think so ! The unit I have been dealing with is supposed to support re-combustion for 48 hours...No, It Does NOT. It rarely holds a fire over 6 hours...and is very hungry.

I am currently looking at taking on Econoburn and adding storage as I have been to the factory and I like what I see. This doesn't mean there won't be bugs... and I have yet to make up my mind. I will not however quit. Oil Costs TOO Much !

Wise Men Still Seek Him.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. altheating

altheating New Member

Loc:
    Central New York
    Check out the Greenwood problems in this forum. You will find that others have the same issues wth the "unmentioned" boilers.
  3. hotwaterman

hotwaterman New Member

Loc:
    NY Finger Lakes
    Firestarter.. Did I met you at the Syracuse Farm Show in the Econoburn Booth ?
  4. altheating

altheating New Member

Loc:
    Central New York
    You are the perspective Econoburn dealer? I think so!
  5. hotwaterman

hotwaterman New Member

Loc:
    NY Finger Lakes
    That was me ! I am going to order a couple Econoburns and get started. I need to sell off a Gwood I have because once I get an
    E-Burn at the store, I don't think I will be able to sell the GWood. Right now, I would sell the G Wood for Peanuts just to get rid of it.
    I do have a couple of concerns regarding the fan speed and the fact that it runs continuosly. This may be a good benefit but from my experience, but storage is going to be very important with any Gasser.Wise Men Still Seek Him.
  6. altheating

altheating New Member

Loc:
    Central New York
  7. brad068

brad068 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Wisconsin
    Hotty, Have you seen Garn units? Check them out. You sound like a guy that can appreciate water storage and these units would be right up your alley. I'm sold on them!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.