Newbie question about SS liner insulation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbowers22

Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2009
North Texas
I need to order a SS flexliner to install a new insert. Should I order the insulation kit also or does it make that much difference? It will be going in a masonry chimney with 13 x 18 clay tiles and will be about 20ft long. Do I also need to insulate the the tp of the chimney and down in the damper area. What is the best possibly setup to go with?

Thanks.

If you have an interior chimney in perfect condition most people will say you do not need to. Some people, myself included who have an exterior chimney in perfect condition do not insulate.I had a serious offset in my chimney that would have been almost impossible to pull an insulated liner around. I did however insulate above my metal block off plate and at the top of my chimney under the cap on top. If you do not know for sure the condition of the chimney then insulate to be safe, it is the best possible way to go .

It is an outside chimney on the north side of the house. I am in Texas so I am not looking at extreme low temperature if that even matters. I just had the chimney cleaned and inspected and their weren't any problems. It is an additional $270 for the insulation so I was wondering if I really need it. The local company that does installs does not insulate the liner. I just want to know the best route to go so I only have to do the job once. What do you use for insulation under the top cap and on top of the block off plate?

If you have the room in your chimney flue (which it sounds like you do) it's probably worth the extra money. Insulation helps keep the liner warm which improves draft and keeps creosote deposits down. The liner kit should come with a plate to seal off the top where the liner attaches. You can fashion your own block off plate for where the liner goes through the damper with some metal sheets and tin snips. Seal with furnace cement or kao wool around liner.

If you have a properly built chimney which obeys applicable clearance requirements you do not have to. The thing is, you probably don't. So, most likely to meet code in your area (if applicable) your liner should be insulated to zero clearance standards.

Been discussed time and time again. The insulation is for SAFETY not for improved draft, the fact that it keep the liner warmer for better draft is a fortunate side effect. If you want your house to be safe in the event of a nasty chimney fire, you should put insulation on the liner. If you don't mind your house burning down, then you can skip it. Plain old single wall SS liners do not meet the UL 1777 specs without some sort of insulation, either a wrap or pour in material.

Status
Not open for further replies.