Newbie question about steel chimneys in Toronto

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulB

Sep 18, 2008
Toronto
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for Toronto chimney installers. I've used the email contact forms from the websites of a couple of local Toronto fireplace companies and was asking for estimates and advice but didn't get any response. I'm planning to install a wood stove in my basement rec room and I'm trying to decide if I should run the chimney up though my foyer floor and out the wall or continue up through the bedroom closet to the roof. My biggest question is what the finished dimensions will be around the boxed in double-walled flue. Thanks!

Here is a guess.

Suppose they will use SuperVent brand pipe which is made in Canada. The 6-inch chimney pipe has an OD of 8-inches. That pipe requires a 2-inch clearance to combustables. So, the inner area of the box-in will need to be at least 12 by 12-inches.
(2" clearance + 8" outer diameter of pipe + 2" clearance)

I assume you will be going up an existing wall with this. Face the wall and invision a 12x12-inch hole from floor to ceiling. On the sides I assume the box in will be framed with 2x4's which are 1.5-inch thick. I also assume the box in will be covered with 1/2-inch sheetrock. Width of the left hand to right hand aspect of the box-in will be an minimum of 16-inches.
(1/2" sheetrock + 1.5" 2x4 + 2" clearance + 8" outer diameter of pipe + 2" clearance + 1.5" 2x4 + 1/2" sheetrock)

From the wall it will stick out a minimum of 14-inches.
(2" clearance + 8" outer diameter of pipe + 2" clearance + 1.5" 2x4 + 1/2" sheetrock)

If the box-in is placed in a corner, the finished product will be a minimum of 14-inches square.

Codes in Canada may require more clearance around the pipe. Information reguarding that can be found on SuperVent's website which is located at www.selkirkcorp.com (just click on the advertisement that will most likely appear below this very thread)

Thankyou BJ64,
I hunted around the site a fair bit but wasn't able to track down the info you just gave me. It's great to have a firm idea of these dimensions..it goes a long way to figuring out where to best route the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.