Newbie to wood stoves - Some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcore

Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Northern Sask Canada
Hello all,

Have read through the forums quite a bit. Searched on the stoves I am interested in, and like most research I do, it leaves me with more questions than answers.

I am building a 2000 sq/ft home on 2 levels. I also have a basement, which is not included in the sq footage but is roughly 1000 sq/ft. I am looking at putting my wood stove on the main floor. I know it is probably not the most efficient place to put it, but our basement will be undeveloped for a few years and would like the obvious ambience of a wood stove in our great room. I live in northern Canada were temps in the winter hit -40 on many occasions. Our winter is long and hard and I'm looking for some input on which wood stove would be best for my needs. Here is a link to my house plan if your wanting to know the setup. Stove will be going into my great room, and although there is a fireplace setup shown right now, we are ditching that in favour of a wood stove. (Our code in Canada prevents us from putting a fireplace in the position listed in the drawings due to it being too close to higher roof peaks)

Link to house plan: http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/designer-AM-house-plan-6991am.asp

I have been looking at Blaze king stoves, but wanted something a little more elegant. So I started looking at vermont castings and really like the style. Recently, also started looking at Yotul stoves and am very impressed by both the look and the reviews.

1. I'm looking for almost full time heat from this stove. Is it worth it to get the Catalytic version from vermont Castings?

2. I don't want to have to replace this stove in 3 years and have heard that Vermont Castings has gone downhill in quality. Is this true?

3. What size stove should I get? I know this depends on so many factors and I constantly hear you don't want to get too big, but the opposite is also true. So in my cold cold climate, do I get a larger than required stove? For example the VC Defiant? Or the Jøtul F 600 Firelight CB?

4. Are there any other wood stoves I should consider that are better quality than VC or Jotul?

I appreciate any feedback you have! Like I said, I'm new to this wood burning and I want to get it right the first time without having to mess around. I'll definitely pay the price to get a better stove that will last me!

Thanks in advance
Corey

Hardcore said:
Hello all,

Have read through the forums quite a bit. Searched on the stoves I am interested in, and like most research I do, it leaves me with more questions than answers.

I am building a 2000 sq/ft home on 2 levels. I also have a basement, which is not included in the sq footage but is roughly 1000 sq/ft. I am looking at putting my wood stove on the main floor. I know it is probably not the most efficient place to put it, but our basement will be undeveloped for a few years and would like the obvious ambience of a wood stove in our great room. I live in northern Canada were temps in the winter hit -40 on many occasions. Our winter is long and hard and I'm looking for some input on which wood stove would be best for my needs. Here is a link to my house plan if your wanting to know the setup. Stove will be going into my great room, and although there is a fireplace setup shown right now, we are ditching that in favour of a wood stove. (Our code in Canada prevents us from putting a fireplace in the position listed in the drawings due to it being too close to higher roof peaks)

Link to house plan: http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/designer-AM-house-plan-6991am.asp

I have been looking at Blaze king stoves, but wanted something a little more elegant. So I started looking at vermont castings and really like the style. Recently, also started looking at Yotul stoves and am very impressed by both the look and the reviews.

1. I'm looking for almost full time heat from this stove. Is it worth it to get the Catalytic version from vermont Castings?

2. I don't want to have to replace this stove in 3 years and have heard that Vermont Castings has gone downhill in quality. Is this true?

3. What size stove should I get? I know this depends on so many factors and I constantly hear you don't want to get too big, but the opposite is also true. So in my cold cold climate, do I get a larger than required stove? For example the VC Defiant? Or the Jøtul F 600 Firelight CB?

4. Are there any other wood stoves I should consider that are better quality than VC or Jotul?

I appreciate any feedback you have! Like I said, I'm new to this wood burning and I want to get it right the first time without having to mess around. I'll definitely pay the price to get a better stove that will last me!

Thanks in advance
Corey

Do a search for Vermont Castings or VC here. I think anyone would be crazy to buy one these days. They are having major problems and replacement parts prices have gone through the roof. If you go with a cast stove, get one from a company that will still be in business in 20 years.

Welcome, Corey,

There are several stoves that would work for you here. On this site, there is a lot of information that you can search for. Here are some suggestions for starters. If cast iron then a Jotul F600, Morso 3610, Quadrafire Isle Royale, would do well. You might also consider a big soapstone stove like the Hearthstone Mansfield or a hybrid stove like the Pacific Energy Alderlea T6.

Whatever the choice, keep the flue on the inside, run straight up and you will have a better performing stove.

Thanks for the quick replies. Ya, I noticed that Vermont Castings has started to get a bad name from the reviews, although there are many positive ones as well. I will look into those other stoves listed, but will likely have more questions.

What are your guys thoughts on Catalytic stoves?

We've been using a Summit to heat a house in a climate like yours, and are very happy with it.
Where abouts in SK are you, btw?

Here's a link to the Summit Classic, which is a nice looking stove:
http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_summit_classic.php
.....And his cousin, the Alderlea:
http://www.pacificenergy.net/product_alderleaT6.php

These stoves are fairly reasonably priced,easy to find in the great white north, and built VERY heavy.
The P.E. stoves are my favorites, well built and have easily removeable baffles.

Also check the Drolets (Home Hardware, Rona), they are a bit cheaper, but still well built.
http://www.drolet.ca/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=208&Page=spec
sells for ~ $1400, This behemoth tips the scales @ a whopping 515 Lbs.

.....And the "Flame" stoves(Home Hardware):
http://www.flame-intl.com/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=403&Page=spec
Sells for ~ $950, and still weighs close to 400 Lbs.

Crappy Tire also carries a Drolet for $900. Product #64-2845-6
http://www.drolet.ca/product.aspx?CategoId=1&Id=175
@ 343 Lbs. It is the lightest of the stoves I listed.
The Century stoves they sell are even lighter yet, probably not heavy-duty enough for everyday use up north.

I know people with the Drolet and Flame stoves, and they are happy with theirs.

Look for a stove that is built heavy, and has straight-in wood loading. The stoves with shallow fireboxes that can only be loaded side-to-side will frustrate you to no end.

I have no experience with the CAT stoves, so I can't help you there. If you decide to go that route, just make sure Cat combusters are available for the stove, and find out how much they cost, as they do need to be replaced from time-to -time.

Hey Jimbob,

That's funny you mention the Pacific Energy stoves. I just started doing some more research on them and I think I have found the one that best suits us. The Alderlea T6.

Anyways, I'm from La Ronge, SK. Looks like the only place to get these stoves nearby is in Saskatoon. I'm wondering how I would get it installed and inspected up here!?

Good choice :)

I bought and installed an Englander 30NC this past winter. I've been very happy with it. Not super fancy, but a solid, easy to operate stove (and a heck of a value).

Before I decided on the englander, I was very impressed with the Quadrafire units. They are also worth a look. I really liked the 3100 step top.

-SF

Hardcore said:
Anyways, I'm from La Ronge, SK. Looks like the only place to get these stoves nearby is in Saskatoon. I'm wondering how I would get it installed and inspected up here!?

Moose movers? Sled dogs? ;-)

Hardcore said:
Hey Jimbob,

I'm wondering how I would get it installed and inspected up here!?

Ask your house insurance agent, they'll know.

I think you'll be VERY happy with the Alderlea.:coolsmile:

La Ronge, eh? I think it gets as cold there as it does here! :gulp:

Well I couldn't stop researching. I probably need to go down and actually look at these stoves. I just recently helped a friend move a Blaze king into his basement. It is a pretty big stove at about 30" wide x 30" deep and about that high again.

It got me thinking about the size of the stove and how it would look. Yes, I have to be concerned about looks for the wife factor. The Alderlea t6 is a BIG stove! Actually it is a square stove, much like the blaze king with 29" wide x 29" deep. I don't mind the looks of it, but I didn't realize it was so deep.

Anyways, that got me looking into other stoves mentioned here:

1. Jotul F600 Firelight
2. Quadrafire Isle Royale
3. Pacific Energy Alderlea T6

Right now I'm liking the looks of all 3 of those stoves! Very nice looking and they seem to heat well. I like the top loading feature of the Quadrafire Isle royale, but I don't know how it heats. Does it heat well or in the same league as the other stoves I mentioned?

Overall, I am leaning a bit towards the Jotul in terms of overall looks and heating performance.

Thanks again for all the information

Hardcore said:
1. Jotul F600 Firelight
2. Quadrafire Isle Royale
3. Pacific Energy Alderlea T6

Right now I'm liking the looks of all 3 of those stoves! Very nice looking and they seem to heat well. I like the top loading feature of the Quadrafire Isle royale, but I don't know how it heats. Does it heat well or in the same league as the other stoves I mentioned?

Overall, I am leaning a bit towards the Jotul in terms of overall looks and heating performance.

Thanks again for all the information

All three good stoves and serious heaters. We have several satisfied Isle Royale users here. If you chose the Jotul, you should be very happy with it. It's big, simple, good looking and particularly nice in enamel. None of these stoves have the utilitarian look of a Blaze King.

FWIW, my wife thought the Alderlea T6 looked monstrous at first too. That lasted for about 2 days. Now both my wife and I wonder what all the fuss was about. It looks just fine in the same location where the smaller F400 sat. The extra depth in the firebox is wonderful. It allows you to make a fire in either direction: N/S or E/W or a combo of both and even diagonally for those extra long pieces of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.