Newbie w/ a couple of ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ugabulldog

Oct 29, 2009
South Carolina
WOW.... a whole forum dedicated to pyros,..... pretty cool. i am considered purchasing/installing a small wood burning stove for my 1300 sq ft. home. My two questions are: should this not be placed near my hvac return vent which is in 8' ceiling,....10' and 18' measuring along floor from the two spots I am thinking about placing stove. Also, how close is too close to a leather couch? Thanks in advance.

I'm sure someone here who is knowledgable will chime in about the air return. I seem to remember somebody saying it had to be at least 10', but I'll let somebody else confirm it.

As far as the couch, each stove has its own clearance requirements to combustible surfaces, so you need to look at that as you shop. The differences can be huge. Also, clearances depend on the use of things like heat shields and single vs. double walled pipe, and this is spelled out in the owners manuals, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.