Newbie-Wood Insert Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhGee

Oct 20, 2011
Just N of 30N 90W
Looking for some opinions to help with my decision. I'm looking to fill my big airleak(a Superior ZC metal fireplace) with something more efficient. Located in SE Louisiana we have relatively mild and short winters. But I am blessed with a good supply of usable timber for firewood. I also have a very experienced wood stove dealer(20+ years) relatively close to my area, though there are not many in the state. His recommendations for my application is either a Lopi Revere or an FPX 33 Elite Plus. Originally I liked the Lopi because of the Heating/Cooking plate on top for the idea of backup cooking during a power outage. I have read several reviews here and other places and people are generally satisfied with their Revere but no one ever mentions anything about using about the heating surface. Should this even be a consideration? The wife really likes the flush mount 33 Elite because of the looks and I have to agree that it is more attractive but I hate to give up utility for looks. But in truth it will sit looking pretty more than it will be used as a heater considering our climate. It also seems to have favorable reviews. Also, I'm hoping for some guidance on pricing. My insurance provider recommends professional installation. The install is pretty straightforward. 25 ft of SS flexliner, Insert, door, surround panels, blower kit(Revere) and misc hardware and labor. $4200 installed is the quote for either unit though we haven't talked about the $300 coupon currently available from Lopi/FPX/Travis for accessories. Does that seem reasonable for pricing? Any input will be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to becoming a member of your esteemed community. Thanks in Advance.

PS- Tried to attach a before picture

Attachments

• Newbie-Wood Insert Questions
    Before Insert.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 402
Are you sure you have enough room for the FPX 33? It could be nice to use it to cook on, but have you ever needed to in the past? If you like the flush look, you could also look into the Lopi Freedom with the flush mount kit, it looks pretty good.

Hello Webby,
The fireplace opening is 25 X 43 and 23 deep and the Elite33 needs 21.5 X 31 and 19 deep. All other measurements fit too. I have never cooked on a wood stove before so that's why I was hoping for some input. The thinking behind the cooking feature would be for emergency backup. We were without power for 2 months after Hurricane Katrina so now I am always thinking redundancy. I also realize
that Hurricanes always occur during our hottest part of the year so I probably would not be using a wood stove to cook indoors then. But living a rural area means we do have sporadic power outages during storms. And hey, we have had snow twice in the last 5 years, so you just never know.

Hello Stax,
Actually the height of the opening is 24-3/4. The Hearth is raised 15" above the floor and is 15" deep. We also have an 18"
wide ceramic tile border on the floor in front of the hearth. IIRC the Revere needs 26" and the Elite 33 needs 16". The Dealer/Installer indicated that this combination would be fine.
Would you agree?

I'd say you def made the right decision going w an insert over just a fireplace. Just do your homework and read up on your options. Welcome to the world of burning.. best of luck.

The price may be slightly high, but fair for peak season. If the dealer's installation crew has an excellent reputation, it is worth it. Just be sure they are going to clean the flue before installing the liner. Average costs vary with the insert, say 2000-2400, plus the liner kit at $5-700, + chimney cleaning @ $150, plus a day's labor for two installers.

Are there other dealers of quality units in your area? And where are you? I think 30N 60W is somewhere in the Atlantic east of Bermuda. LOL

Hi Logger, Thanks for the welcome. I have been scouring this forum for a while as well as many other sources. This forum is without question, THE place to be. So much knowledge and experience in one place and such an unselfish and patient group too!

Hello Be Green,
Thank You for taking the time to reply and for pointing out my navigational error. You are correct, I do not live in the Atlantic Ocean, I am actually in SE Louisiana. I fixed that on my profile too. Not many wood stove dealers in this part of the country but the one I'm working with has 20+ years experience and a very good reputation with his customers. He does his own installs, no subcontractors.
That's why I was curious about the price, no other locals to compare with. But he seems fair on the pricing and has good after sale service.

Status
Not open for further replies.