Newbie.. Wood stove install...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alskee750

Oct 5, 2009
NorthEast, Catskills
Hi all...

I have a small year round wood cottage up in the catskills mountain that I'm going to install a wood stove. The stove is in like new condition with little use that was given to me by a friend. It's very similiar to the Vogelzang Boxwood stove. I'm going to be making my own hearth pad from info found here in the forum. I wanted to know if this Northern Tool - Dura-Vent DuraPlus Basic Chimney Kit — Vertical Installation ( http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316635_200316635 ) I'm not sure but is this kit only for fireplaces with acutal chimenies? My question is can I install this kit without a chiminey.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I install it properly since I dont want to burn my home down.

Any other info will be highly appreaciated.

Alex

alskee750 said:
Hi all...

I have a small year round wood cottage up in the catskills mountain that I'm going to install a wood stove. The stove is in like new condition with little use that was given to me by a friend. It's very similiar to the Vogelzang Boxwood stove. I'm going to be making my own hearth pad from info found here in the forum. I wanted to know if this Northern Tool - Dura-Vent DuraPlus Basic Chimney Kit — Vertical Installation ( http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316635_200316635 ) I'm not sure but is this kit only for fireplaces with acutal chimenies? My question is can I install this kit without a chiminey.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I install it properly since I dont want to burn my home down.

Any other info will be highly appreaciated.

Alex

Moved this to the Hearth room - we tend to keep chimney questions there, not a big deal... The kit looks to me like it is intended for use with Duravent-plus brand, "Class A" chimney, which is a metal multi-wall insulated chimney designed to be used as a pre-fabricated chimney for installation without having an existing masonry chimney. It DOES require you to purchase some additional lengths of the Duravent-Plus chimney piping, (note the pipe is brand specific, different manufacturers parts are NOT interchangeable) essentially the kit is all the other bits you need except for the actual pipe. You will probably also need some amount of single or double wall connector pipe to go from the stove to the chimney.

It has a couple of other limitations that might or might not let it work well with your setup - it appears from the pictures that the starter box will require a FLAT ceiling, not a cathedral or angled one. Also the adjustable roof flashing only works on 0/12-6/12 pitch roofs, if your roof is steeper than that you will need a different flashing peice. Lastly, and odds are pretty good that this won't be a problem, it is designed for the 6" size pipe - your stove has to have an outlet that is also 6" or smaller, OR an explicit mention in the manual that it is OK to use a 6" chimney.

The design of the kit is to go up through a flat ceiling into the attic, and then through the roof. If this fits with what you want, it looks like a reasonably good deal for all the accessory bits, and the Duravent plus pipe has a good reputation for quality otherwise.

You might want to post a few pictures of your proposed setup and so forth to see if anyone else has any suggestions / comments. We are pretty good at helping to walk people through setups like this, assuming you have decent handyman skills and aren't worried about a bit of roof work. Probably the biggest thing is to read and follow ALL the directions, especially anything related to clearances from combustibles.

I will say you might want to be cautious about the stove - Vogelzang has a fairly poor reputation here, especially for it's lower end catalog stoves - the "box stoves" are particularly noted as not being terribly clean or efficient, they basically used a loophole to sneak around the EPA requirements tha most modern stoves comply with, and tend to be built to very low quality standards. Some are not even fully UL listed, which can cause problems with code inspectors and / or insurance companies in some areas... Definitely be careful to meet or exceed any specified clearance requirements, hearth protection standards, etc... It MIGHT be worth checking the project out with your local code inspector before committing yourself in order to make sure you won't have problems getting any required signoffs.

Gooserider

Thanks a bunch for the info... I will take pics and add it to my post under the Hearth room. I do have a cathedral roof so I guess this wont work for me. The stove is not a Vogelzang but looks like it, I will take a closer look and post pics of the stove as well.

Thanks again...

Alex,

I am installing the duraplus system but the out and up kit. I have found 2 down sides to the duraplus system.

#1 The 3wall duraplus chimney needs 12" hole in the house for the thimble not 10" like the duravent 2wall.

#2 the 3wall uses air as a insulator with 1/2" blanket in side this brings cold air right to thimble cover with no insulation.

If you decide to go duraplus Tractor Supply has in stock at $99 per 36".

Status
Not open for further replies.