Newby with question regarding Quadrafire 5100-I - 1999 Vintage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Firebugster

Oct 29, 2018
Washington DC
Excellent web site; spent an hour reading threads. Thanks to whomever generated this unique site. I had a wood insert in my first home back in 1991; had catalytic converters and when those two converters were red hot, did that stove ever work awesome for BTU output. That unit was so efficient, the furniture close to the stove began cracking after a few years, so I had to increase the humidity in the home

I found an excellent buy on a 1999 Quadrafire 5100-I for $200.00. See pics.

This used insert hasn't been used for four years; was sitting in the owners garage. Needs to be cleaned up, and repainted and inspected.

I'm not sure what to inspect for proper operation and functionality. Been trying to find an owners manual for this 1999 model, but no luck yet, so I will call the company.

Have some questions below if anyone can answer please.

1. Has all the firebricks; none are cracked. Should I replace as a safety measure?

2. Can I use Home Depot high temp spray paint for stoves, or other recommendations please.

3. My home built in 1986 has a real fireplace with a flue door that opens and closes with the old style screw knob, so I don't have the six inch pipe running up the chimney. The chimney is about 20 feet tall. Do I need to install the round stainless smoke pipe from the insert round hole up and out the chimney? If so, I'll have to remove the flue and chisel out a six inch diameter hole for the pipe to fit and this will be a major modification and will practically destroy the current flew configuration. I was thinking I could install the insert and leave the original flue open, but I'm not sure if the draft will be enough when the smoke runs through the round outlet on top of the insert and through the square flue opening and up the chimney.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Jim

Attachments

• IMG_6407.PNG
    IMG_6407.PNG
    174.7 KB · Views: 919
  • IMG_6405.PNG
    IMG_6405.PNG
    162.6 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_6406.PNG
    IMG_6406.PNG
    289.2 KB · Views: 237
Looks pretty good. There's no need to replace the firebricks if they are not deteriorated. For a close match to the original, the best paint to use would be Stove Brite metallic black. Yes, you need to install a 6" liner, probably insulated. But that doesn't mean a total demolition. How wide does the damper open now? You may be able to take an angle grinder and just cut a slot for the liner to pass through. Before installing the chimney and fireplace smoke shelf will need to be completely clean.

What size flue tile is in the current chimney?

Looks pretty good. There's no need to replace the firebricks if they are not deteriorated. For a close match to the original, the best paint to use would be Stove Brite metallic black. Yes, you need to install a 6" liner, probably insulated. But that doesn't mean a total demolition. How wide does the damper open now? You may be able to take an angle grinder and just cut a slot for the liner to pass through. Before installing the chimney and fireplace smoke shelf will need to be completely clean.

What size flue tile is in the current chimney?
HI Begreen,

Thanks for the reply. I'll get this info to you tonight or tomorrow.; preparing to pick up the insert this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the measurements if you can post some pictures of the whole fireplace and one looking up at the damper, it will help see if there are other concerns.

Looking at the stove pictures it looks like the insert may be ready for a new door gasket. This is normal maintenance and fairly easy to do.