Newmac Classic 1 or 2 EPA Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Does anyone know anything about Newmac classic stoves? Supposed to be a EPA certified unit.

Those are interesting. They break the mold of the "conventional" stove. I wonder how heavy they are built. They resemble some of the old wood furnaces of the late 30's and 40's. I have heard them called trash burners. When I was a kid I use to see them in the really old homes in the basements or utility rooms. Not the same as a real furnace or boiler just a small auxiliary heater.

The company that manufactures them has been building wood furnaces for quite a few years in, I believe, Nova Scotia. I know their wood furnaces have a really good reputation, but was hoping someone who has some experience with the stove could jump in. No sure how HD they are, but being EPA certified and weighing close to 350 lbs., there must be some bulk there.

Sorry no experience, just thought they looked cool. At 350 pounds they must indeed have some metal in them, but then again mine weighs in around 450 fully assembled.

rottiman said:
Does anyone know anything about Newmac classic stoves? Supposed to be a EPA certified unit.

You mean one of these?

BrowningBAR said:
rottiman said:

You mean one of these?

Yes, that is the one

rottiman said:
BrowningBAR said:
rottiman said:

You mean one of these?

Yes, that is the one

That has to be the ugliest looking stove I have ever seen! Reminds me of my old console TV by RCA.. I seem to remember a similar looking wood stove many years ago that resembled that ugly thing.. I give this stove the Blue Vomit award for 2011!

:lol:

Ray

To each their own. Some folks don't want a big black box in their living room.

My cousin had one that looked like that. Wonderwood non-epa from the 80's. It was a creosote makin machine, but it worked really well. He heated a small home with it for years. He'd fill that sucker with half seasoned hedge and turn it down for an all night burn.

raybonz said:
rottiman said:
BrowningBAR said:
rottiman said:

You mean one of these?

Yes, that is the one

That has to be the ugliest looking stove I have ever seen! Reminds me of my old console TV by RCA.. I seem to remember a similar looking wood stove many years ago that resembled that ugly thing.. I give this stove the Blue Vomit award for 2011!

Ray

So, does that mean that you don't like it...........................?

rottiman said:
raybonz said:
rottiman said:
BrowningBAR said:
rottiman said:

You mean one of these?

Yes, that is the one

Ray

So, does that mean that you don't like it...........................?

BG is right " to each their own".. I apologise if I offended anyone..

Ray

Similar heaters from Wonderwood, Ashely, US Stove have heated many homes. They're lightweight in construction and tend to burn out in a decade or so. A 2 cu ft Drolet, Englander, Osburn or Napoleon would offer more value I think.

I have one in my basement and have used it as a basement heater for 25 years. My mother has one in her basement and has used it for well over 40 years. She has had to replace the grates at least once, but she uses hers much more than I do. Neither are the EPA version and both create enough creosote that anniual chimney cleanings are a must.

I light mine on a Friday night and let burn through 'til Monday morning during the coldest weekends. The thermostat works as described, fill 'er up around 11 p.m. with big chunks of hardwood and I have a huge bed of coals still at 8 a.m.the next day. I've looked at the EPA version as a replacement but am now a true cat stove convert so they are out.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.