News from Woodstock on Tax Rebate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
I called Woodstock yesterday to order a stove pipe and asked them about their efficiency tests. The gentleman I spoke with said that the Fireview tested at 91.1% efficient and both the Palladian and the Keystone each came in at 85%. Since that is greater than the 75% needed to qualify, the rep told me that they are getting certificates ready for customers who bought a stove this year.

Pretty fantastic.

Did you happen to dig a little deeper about how they came up with these numbers? I wonder if this new testing method is more of a measurement of the wood burning efficiency not the stoves heat output efficiency? You would think any stove would have to have at least 20-30% of the heat go up the stack to create a draft so the stove works at all?

The certificates for Hearthstone's stoves say that they got their data from the original EPA 28A and 5H testing so they are talking about combustion efficiency, not heat transfer efficiency, I betcha.

BrotherBart said:
The certificates for Hearthstone's stoves say that they got their data from the original EPA 28A and 5H testing so they are talking about combustion efficiency, not heat transfer efficiency, I betcha.

Your probably right. I also noticed that the Mansfield didn't make the list. Hearthstone needs to put a cat in that stove! I thought just about every EPA stove would of made it.

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:

Your probably right. I also noticed that the Mansfield didn't make the list. Hearthstone needs to put a cat in that stove! I thought just about every EPA stove would of made it.

The heck with the tax credit. Just drop the price on the Mansfield enough and I will buy a hacksaw blade to cut the legs down to fit my fireplace. :cheese:

yeah its different than the "traditional" epa numbers. as for the "certificates" you should be seeing them for most all manufacturers (check their websites, most manufacturers will post downloadable printable versions for its customers) ESW is providing them in that fashion as well for our qualifying models.

speaking as an industry member im happy to see this thing finally get done should boost sales in "qualifying" units which is good for the industry( more sales, more jobs)and the environment (clean burning stoves favored over older dirtier units), its gotta get more peeps off da oil in a clean, carbon neutral way.

Ok - so if these are the numbers for wood burning efficiency, anyone have any idea how good they rate for heat transfer efficiency in relation to other stoves? Or is this such a variable thing based on burning - i.e. long slow burns would have better efficiency than short hot burns since less goes up the flue? Or am I off the mark here?

Slow1 said:
Ok - so if these are the numbers for wood burning efficiency, anyone have any idea how good they rate for heat transfer efficiency in relation to other stoves? Or is this such a variable thing based on burning - i.e. long slow burns would have better efficiency than short hot burns since less goes up the flue? Or am I off the mark here?

Well, I'd have to guess the higher the combustion efficiency the better the heat output efficiency would be, but there are probably many other variables that would go into this like how much of that heat goes up the flue, some stoves burn hotter stack temps than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.