1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. NordicSplitter

NordicSplitter Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western,NY
    I know my Jotul 600 is only 3 yrs old but I am already thinking about my next stove for my retirement home. I am leaning towards a Soapstone Wood Stove. Anyone have any experience with this kind of stove? Pro's & Con's would be nice :)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    Look up Woodstock soapstone stoves and also remember their 6 month return policy.Study their site and study it hard. A couple pros n cons.If you let your fire go out and want fast heat from a cold firebox,it'll take awhile warming all that stone but boy after an hr you'll get the best kinda smooooth heat.Hey,try it and return it after 6 months no return shipping cost to you.Buy a 2nd hand from them,go pick out your own stone,pick your own color or get a custom color.Get the best customer service out there.

http://www.woodstove.com/
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  3. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    As a matter of fact call them when you're done.They'll talk to you like an old friend.
  4. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    Ohhhhhhhhh Dennis! lol
    Woody Stover likes this.
  5. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    I just read the new rules and I want to state this.I wrote these replies from my own personal experience and it does not by any means mean this is the best stove out there but buddy it sure works for me.You asked about soapstone and this is the only 1 I have experience with.Sorry for all the replies.
  6. JA600L

JA600L Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lancaster Pennsylvania
    I think the Ideal Steel Hybrid is the way many are going. From Woodstock. You can get a soapstone liner for it.
  7. mark cline

mark cline Member

Loc:
    Orchard Park, NY
    Hearthstone Mansfield is what I have and I can't say enough about it. Beautiful to look at , burns clean and holds the heat for hours after the fire dies down.
  8. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    The Mansfield is a great heater and is comparable in size to the 600. That would be a good one. Hearthstone makes very nice stuff and so does Woodstock from what I hear. They are about the only companies in the soapstone corner, so it should make it easier to decide. Don't make a decision based on that money back guarantee, if you make an educated decision there would be no need to return it.:)
  9. Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar

Papa-Yankee-Romeo-Oscar Member

Loc:
    Rural St. Elmo, IL
    I would buy a woodstock.