NH Store Mr Fireplace closed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushbuck

Oct 6, 2008
NH
A New Hampshire pellet stove retailer has abruptly gone out of business, leaving many customers without the appliances they purchased.

The Laconia Citizen reports that Mr. Fireplace, based in Laconia, N.H., took both deposits and full payment for the stoves last fall, with delivery dates promised to their customers for November through January. However, the stove manufacturers were not able to deliver the appliances. The stores owners were not immediately able to provide refunds, and the situation was complicated when one of the owners was hospitalized last month following a heart attack.

To date, 30 complaints have been filed with the New Hampshire Attorney General's Consumer Protection and Antitrust Bureau. The attorney general's office is meeting with the store’s owners to formulate a strategy for refunding the customers.

Its to bad, I dont think this will be the last time we hear news like this this year..

I saw this in the news also. I bought our first woodstove from Mr Fireplace. I was surprised, since they have been there for as long as I can remember. I sincerely hope no one here was burned by them.

This is just another reason why I bought both my woodstove, and my pellet stove from dealers who had the financial ability to have the stoves IN STOCK. I went in with cash in my hand, and drove away with my stove in my truck. If a dealer doesn't have the financial ability to keep stoves in stock, you are leaving yourself open to being burned (with the dealer ordering your stove WITHOUT a deposit being the exception, but good luck finding one).

We see this happening time and again, but yet I still see people paying up front for pellets bought online for delivery at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.