Nice day for a quick scrounge!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyroholic

Feb 17, 2013
Mid-Michigan
Decided I had enough time and energy today to go out and scrounge a bit. Ended up with a pretty good load. +/- 120 cubic ft. Got some nice rounds, all ash.

Quick question though:
In general, how much will the 120 cubic feet end up translating to as a stack of splits? I assume it would grow if anything due to increased air space, but I have no idea how much?

Another question:
What would an average price be for 5 cord of ash delivered in 8' logs ranging from 8"-30" in diameter.
IMAG0216.jpg IMAG0024.jpg

Decided I had enough time and energy today to go out and scrounge a bit. Ended up with a pretty good load. +/- 120 cubic ft. Got some nice rounds, all ash.

Quick question though:
In general, how much will the 120 cubic feet end up translating to as a stack of splits? I assume it would grow if anything due to increased air space, but I have no idea how much?

Another question:
What would an average price be for 5 cord of ash delivered in 8' logs ranging from 8"-30" in diameter.
View attachment 99920 View attachment 99921
When U say ,Decided to go out and scrounge a bit, what does that mean exactly, do U just go for drive find wood and bring it home just like that ??

Well, the permission was granted some time ago, I just went out there and 'scrounged' a trailer load of wood off from the recently fallen triple trunked ash. Maybe not the best use of the term 'scrounge' around here.

Well, the permission was granted some time ago, I just went out there and 'scrounged' a trailer load of wood off from the recently fallen triple trunked ash. Maybe not the best use of the term 'scrounge' around here.
I see:)

If its free and you did the work, its a scrounge, the scrounge comes in all different forms. Nice load there. Around here a load of 5 cords like you described is $500, Id rather pay $150/cord c/s or scrounge.

Reactions: Mr A
If its free and you did the work, its a scrounge, the scrounge comes in all different forms. Nice load there. Around here a load of 5 cords like you described is $500, Id rather pay $150/cord c/s or scrounge.
Would be about the same around here $100 bucks a cord for logs, $150/cord c/s

Another question:
View attachment 99920 View attachment 99921

It all depends on your local market. In some places it would be free. I would figure out what it costs you to cut and haul it yourself and compare. Getting clean wood laid out in your yard is a lot easier than hauling it yourself. But on the other hand going out and getting the wood can be half the fun.

That is one loaded wagon ;)
You have all the 3500 lb trailer had room for ==c
Nice scrounge.

With scrounges like that, why do yo need to get 5 cord delivered?
5 of those would be close to 5 cord .

These guys want $600, or $120/cord. That's with delivery, but they are only coming about 5 miles. I put in a reservation, they are booked until the end of May for deliveries. Maybe when they call I'll tell them $500 or keep it. Although at $120/cord I could just go to work for the same amount of time it takes me to cut down and load a cord and break even. That's not accounting for saw and truck fuel or wear and tear.

It is fun to me to fell and buck trees, but I am not so fond of loading. But, buying 5 cord isn't going to keep me from that. Really just looking for an easy way to help build up to 3+ years ahead.

There are several places around here that are harvesting standing dead ash. One place is sawing 8"x8"x8' timbers by the hundreds. Railroad ties I'd guess. Others are making bank with firewood. Plenty of good uses for standing dead ash.

I think I have 4 years worth of wood. I wouldn't know who to call to get a log delivery , if if it even was available. I am fortunate to be strong and healthy. I have taken some scrounges just for the pleasure of working up a sweat.

Reactions: Got Wood
These guys want $600, or $120/cord. That's with delivery, but they are only coming about 5 miles. I put in a reservation, they are booked until the end of May for deliveries. Maybe when they call I'll tell them $500 or keep it. Although at $120/cord I could just go to work for the same amount of time it takes me to cut down and load a cord and break even. That's not accounting for saw and truck fuel or wear and tear.

$120/cord is way too much to spend for 8' logs. Where at in michigan are you?

25 miles east of Lansing, right off I-96.

if $120 is the going rate in your area thats a quick way to get ahead, once your ahead 3 years then you can scrounge full time and take your time doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.