Nice Tiny House Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me strange, but I like the concept of these tiny house things.

You're strange. ;lol

In a good way.

Reactions: saskwoodburner
You have to admire the ingenuity by which they fit so much storage into rarely used spaces.

Not to quibble but.....both the floor plan and photo dot say it's electric. Would a gas equivalent overheat such a small space?

Not to quibble but.....both the floor plan and photo dot say it's electric. Would a gas equivalent overheat such a small space?
You're right. I missed that. It says 1500watt on the plan. A gas heater would have to be small, like 5000 btus. The heat from lights and refrigeration would probably be enough on milder days.

Maybe one on the wall at the foot of the staircase like this would work? That would free up the fireplace area for more storage:
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/products/gt8-the-torch-gas-fireplace/

One thing missing is good lighting, especially for reading. There's no room for floor lamps and little for table lamps. I would build in some good reading lights for the couch and bed.

This one is very nice.Trying to live in a smaller space than this for any length of time is just not practical. A bed room you can stand up in is a must.

It's not for everyone, but lots of people don't mind living in small spaces. It's a bit like living on a boat.

Cool. Looks like he has an older Jotul or Morso heating with biobricks which is what I would do.

If I was a bachelor......^^^^^^;lol

(referencing the tinyhouse, not begreen)

Reactions: woodgeek
The family cabin has a front room that's 12x16. When I go up without the wife I live out of this room. I'd be happy with it. The only thing not in there is the bathroom.

Should be very low property taxes as most go by Sqf of living space. I had an uncle that was literally taxed out of 2 of his homes. First in long island and the second in upstate NY

I like the idea, but in a cold climate, the high surface to volume ratio would make it hard to insulate, as a fraction of the total volume.
There is a resort near me that has 'condo chalets' which are basically 4 tiny houses in block, each unit sharing two interior walls.
Total size ~2000 sq ft, ~400 sq ft per unit.

I hope no one thinks for a moment that the average US new house size (over 2,000 sq ft) is representative of new house size in other developed countries. Average new house size in Hong Kong, for example, is 484 sq ft; Spain is 870 sq ft. Might 1,000's of square feet be a little excessive? Shrink

Honestly, I'm surprised there are new houses in Hong Kong. They don't exactly have much room. They must be expanding into china.

I am really wondering what is going to happen with the millions of over sized under built monster houses of the last 10-20 years.
Accessible only by car, expensive to heat or cool, all services or employment opportunities banished by zoning or covenants, mortgaged out the wazoo (in Canada, better in the USA now).
I guess if a large enough fraction of the population/money is in them, we will all end up bailing them out in some way.

I've thought about that too. All those huge windows and 30 ft high entry ways will come back to haunt.

The thing that gets me most is that they put them on little postage sized lots.

Honestly, I'm surprised there are new houses in Hong Kong. They don't exactly have much room. They must be expanding into china.
Don't make me post pictures, I flew through there and sailed out of there twice last year. There's still quite a bit of undeveloped land in Hong Kong, it's just not quite flat. The "apartment" I lived in on the mainland was considerably larger than a room at a Microtel in America.

I am really wondering what is going to happen with the millions of over sized under built monster houses of the last 10-20 years.
You will get the urban ghost town similar to some we already have in some parts of America where jobs have vanished. Went to one of those last year too, on business, in addition to my trips to mainland China. I fully expect what we will see at some point is the state and federal government using eminent domain to seize entire chunks of property and selling them off to pay the country's debts. The question becomes, do you want to live in one of those areas when the court system rolls through and cuts you a check for "just compensation" according to the Fifth Ammendment?

I've watched what government can do using their eminent domain power using the justification of "community redevelopment" where in the end the government signs the deed to the property over to a well connected private developer. The kicker is that eminent domain can be justified to be used simply on the basis of increasing the local tax base. Kelo v. City of New London is an interesting read.

We might as well accept the tiny house concept, it's coming...

Cage à lapins, as the Wallonians describe Netherlands housing. But one very nice thing I found about cramped housing was that each and every possession had to be precious enough to deserve a place in the home, and nothing could be purchased until it was decided what would be let go of to make room for it.

Last edited:

Hong Kong has almost the same population and total land area as NYC. Tear down a short building and build a high-rise. The remarkable thing was that 60 years ago it was all firetrap shanties...then it was what we would call high rise publicly funded tenements (tiny apartments in a concrete tower, with communal kitchens and baths). Apts are still small and expensive, but most now have private kitchen and bath. In many ways, not unlike the history of NYC, just compressed in time a bit, and with more public funding.

The New Territories are like Queens and the Bronx. Like NYC in the US, HK'ers have a much higher median income and net worth than anyone else in greater china, including Shanghai and Beijing.

But one very nice thing I found about cramped housing was that each and every possession had to be precious enough to deserve a place in the home, and nothing could be purchased until it was decided what would be let go of to make room for it.
That might be the simple living of which many dream but few choose the path. Also, that is the stuff of which great wealth is accumulated. Imagine, saving the difference in purchase and ownership costs of a tiny house vs a 3000+ sq ft house, apply the return of your choice for investing that money, and you are ready to enjoy a fantastic early retirement in short order.

Status
Not open for further replies.