Nice to have a yard back!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Post Sandy and cleaned up from Sandy.

Attachments

• Sandy 2012 (40).jpg
    Sandy 2012 (40).jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Sandy 2012 (43).jpg
    Sandy 2012 (43).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Sandy cleanup 1.jpg
    Sandy cleanup 1.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 135
  • sandy cleanup 2.jpg
    sandy cleanup 2.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 132
Nice work! Looks like you kept a lot of the branches. I really like doug fir branches as they do not require splitting (unless they are bigger than 6in dia) plus they are super tight grained as they sometimes reach out 20+ feet. They almost burn like hardwood.

Are the last 2 pics from today?
Looking good, lots of work done.
Nice weather.
I hope no big trees are left near the house, just in case ;)

Are the last 2 pics from today?
Looking good, lots of work done.
Nice weather.
I hope no big trees are left near the house, just in case ;)
Yes, last two pics from today. There are still 3 60 year old norway maples near the house.

Yes, last two pics from today. There are still 3 60 year old norway maples near the house.

They must be strong & healthy.
Bet they make great shade trees :)

They must be strong & healthy.
Bet they make great shade trees :)
The difference in the hurricane was the pine trees were like big sails in the wind, the maples didn't have any leaves, so they had less resistance to the wind. I had 25 pine trees come down.

Nice work! Looks like you kept a lot of the branches. I really like doug fir branches as they do not require splitting (unless they are bigger than 6in dia) plus they are super tight grained as they sometimes reach out 20+ feet. They almost burn like hardwood.

Any truth to that with eastern hemlocks roughly 100ft tall? Trimmed quite a few thick lower branches off and have em stacked for chipping, but might reconsider. Heck of a lot easier to mow with those gone.

Any truth to that with eastern hemlocks roughly 100ft tall? Trimmed quite a few thick lower branches off and have em stacked for chipping, but might reconsider. Heck of a lot easier to mow with those gone.
I would look at the growth ring on the branches. I was surprised how many and how close the ring were together on the lower long branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.