No biggie, but something that I noticed about Huskee/Speeco splitters.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I was looking at the different models of the Huskee/Speeco brands and something popped out at me. Looking at the pictures you will see that the lower priced units have the "finger chopper" stand while the upgraded machines have a flip-up jack stand. Now notice that those with the newer, more finger friendly jack stands also have the engines mounted on the opposite side from the operator's station. Even the 22-ton Speeco has the engine on the opposite side if you upgrade to the Honda motor (you also get the newer jack stand).

Just something I noticed.

FWIW.

Ed

Neither stand is worth a crap...I change mine out first thing.

I hear ya Jay. I guess what I was getting at is that Speeco considers the new stands as "new and improved" over the finger choppers (which I would think they are) but apparently they consider the engine being on the opposite side to be better, too, since they mount them away from the operator on the more premium splitters. I discussed engine placement a while back, thinking the opposite side would be better...after using the infamous Huskee for all of a couple of hours I kind of like the engine being close by handy to operate and also to keep splits from pummeling it when they come off the splitter.

Ed

Intheswamp said:
I hear ya Jay. I guess what I was getting at is that Speeco considers the new stands as "new and improved" over the finger choppers (which I would think they are) but apparently they consider the engine being on the opposite side to be better, too, since they mount them away from the operator on the more premium splitters. I discussed engine placement a while back, thinking the opposite side would be better...after using the infamous Huskee for all of a couple of hours I kind of like the engine being close by handy to operate and also to keep splits from pummeling it when they come off the splitter.

Ed

I would change any model over to the boat type stand with a wheel and a real jack. Makes life a little easier.lol

Our homemade splitter doesn't even have a stand. We always rest it on a piece of firewood. That's a good use for some of that gnarly stuff. ;-)

smokinjay said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

I would change any model over to the boat type stand with a wheel and a real jack. Makes life a little easier.lol

SJ: Which type did you use?
Plan to change mine (finger pinching SOB) but I'd like to be able to go lower than most allow. Like down to the ATV ball.
I made a trailer ball Jig for my ATV, mainly to save my fingers & back when hooking/un-hooking the splitter.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/72817/
Still want to put on a safe trailer tongue stand/jack but need one with more range. I saw the one they use on some models &
liked it, it looks like a "friction slider" operation. What is your beef with it?
Gotta pic of yours?
I have to use a hydraulic floor jack for my boat one if I need to hook it to the ATV, it don't go low
enough but does pivot the stand parallel to the tongue.
(Maybe the jig I made will handle the boat too ( umm:typing thought)) Maybe none will have the versatility I'm looking for.
bDave

bogydave said:
smokinjay said:
Intheswamp said:

Ed

SJ: Which type did you use?
Plan to change mine (finger pinching SOB) but I'd like to be able to go lower than most allow. Like down to the ATV ball.
I made a trailer ball Jig for my ATV, mainly to save my fingers & back when hooking/un-hooking the splitter.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/72817/
Still want to put on a safe trailer tongue stand/jack but need one with more range. I saw the one they use on some models &
liked it, it looks like a "friction slider" operation. What is your beef with it?
Gotta pic of yours?
I have to use a hydraulic floor jack for my boat one if I need to hook it to the ATV, it don't go low
enough but does pivot the stand parallel to the tongue.
(Maybe the jig I made will handle the boat too ( umm:typing thought)) Maybe none will have the versatility I'm looking for.
bDave

Attachments

• splitting wood.jpg
    splitting wood.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 344
I was afraid of the stand on my Yard Machines--I replaced it with the boat type within minutes!

S

The engine being opposite the operation lever, in my opinion was a bad move. I believe it was done to get the fuel tank off the splitter side of the engine and away from the falling logs. Now the exhuast is facing the splitter, and the operator, when using it vertically, cuasing the fumes to be sent directly at the operator. I complained and was sent a diverter for the exhaust. Helped alot. No more wooziness after 15 minutes of splitting vertically. The tilt pin is nicer on the newer models too. It is beveled and spring loaded, so you just drop the frame back onto the base and it snaps/locks in place. Older unit was a manual pin. Overall, very happy with the unit. Strong and easy to move around/operate. Will get the log catcher some time in the future, or make my own.

mywaynow said:
The engine being opposite the operation lever, in my opinion was a bad move. I believe it was done to get the fuel tank off the splitter side of the engine and away from the falling logs. Now the exhuast is facing the splitter, and the operator, when using it vertically, cuasing the fumes to be sent directly at the operator. I complained and was sent a diverter for the exhaust. Helped alot. No more wooziness after 15 minutes of splitting vertically. The tilt pin is nicer on the newer models too. It is beveled and spring loaded, so you just drop the frame back onto the base and it snaps/locks in place. Older unit was a manual pin. Overall, very happy with the unit. Strong and easy to move around/operate. Will get the log catcher some time in the future, or make my own.

Exhaust in the face is a rough day....Glad they took care of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.