No fire last night and close to 70 today!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I made it with cord to a cord and a half to spare!!! Yes I burned some pine and silver maple this year, but I was just off of knee surgery and did not have time for the golden oak to dry. I have about 3 cords oak for next year though!!! I blew thru 5 cords this year. Time to get splitting as soon as the yard is not as soft as birthday cake... :)

So does that mean you are done? I need to burn for a few more weeks for sure.

No, I will still have a fire when it cools down but not 24/7. Time for a break from feeding the stove. The novelty always wears off around Jan 15th to Feb 1st. On thing I did differently is I cut one of those northwoods logs into waffers and then in half for firestarters... I have had it in the garage for 3 years with the idea and never did cut it till recently. Boy they work as well as supercedars. I think they are 3 bucks for the log and get a good 24 fiorestarters from them...I could probably cut them in half again??? Will have to try it. It is perfect for the frequent starts in spring and fall. Winter the stove never goes out!!!

I'm down to burning intermittently with about half a cord of dry wood left. Daytime temps. are climbing to mid to upper fifties so I should be ok. I have cut a lot of oak during the fall and winter for next year.

burntime:

Don't kid yourself about the temps the past few days... we've got some heating weather left yet, but this winter has been so much kinder here than last year, it's tempting to think it's already over.

I've still got about 2/3 to 3/4 cord left (out of maybe 3 total as of last fall), so I'm in pretty good shape. I did 'sweat it' back in December / January when the season looked like it would be every bit as hard as last.

Still most of two months before the trees have fully leafed out...

Got to get outside to enjoy this rare day.

Peter B.

-----

I have about 1 cord or so of oak to split yet and half a cord of ash... The rest is hard maple, shagbark hickory(natures concrete) and a mish mosh of elm etc... I should be set for next year if I get splitting, now for the following...

I think we're down to around 20 cords.... lol

I let the fire go out last week and haven't re-lit it since. Been out in a T-shirt bucking 2010/2011 wood. There's about 10 cord done and 2 cord left to buck and when the snow is gone I will start splitting it. Got around 4 cord left in the shed and a few cord split laying out under the snow which is melting fast. Looks like I burned some of next Winter's wood allocation this year and that I will probably be burning next year, some of the stuff I'm processing now.

LLigetfa said:
I let the fire go out last week and haven't re-lit it since. Been out in a T-shirt bucking 2010/2011 wood. There's about 10 cord done and 2 cord left to buck and when the snow is gone I will start splitting it. Got around 4 cord left in the shed and a few cord split laying out under the snow which is melting fast. Looks like I burned some of next Winter's wood allocation this year and that I will probably be burning next year, some of the stuff I'm processing now.

Every time I see one of your posts about it going over freezing and you let the stove go out I just have to wonder what temp you keep that house at without the stove burning?

For several days we have been up to fifty or so in the daytime but no sun so it keeps trying to be 50 in the house too so I have to toast some wood. Pain in the butt to heat the place but not overheat the place. They are promising 60 and sunshine tomorrow. I hope it happens.

We were in the low 70's in Wisconsin today. I think we broke a record! House had the windows open all day and its still 69 in the house...

BrotherBart said:
Every time I see one of your posts about it going over freezing and you let the stove go out I just have to wonder what temp you keep that house at without the stove burning?
The sun is very strong this time of year yet low enough on the horizon to come under the eaves so we get a lot of solar gain. The house gets up around 75 if we don't open a window or two. It does drop off a few degrees after sundown so we just let the gas furnace kick in because the wood heat would just be too much.

It's still above freezing but forecast to be below freezing all day tomorrow and then dropping down to -19C tomorrow night so will make a fire again.

It has been in the 70's for the past few days. I am at a loss as to what to do with myself when I get up in the morning. Miss fire building and it is too early in the season to putz around in my garden. The transition time from burning to non-burning is always an adjustment. I miss those secondaries....Our weather can still go back to being cold again so I'm not assuming that this is it yet...

Mild winter so I didn't go through as much as I had anticipated. Probably have about 1 1/2 to 2 cords left which is fine with me. Another summer to dry and I can use it first next winter while what I just ordered and had stacked continues to dry...I envy those of you who have room to store multiple years worth of wood.

I wouldn't put the candles in the stove quite yet. We've been in another cold Arctic system now for a week. It's a big system that will be making it's way across the country. By Sat. am, most will be feeling its effects.

Woodpile is getting low. I'm ready for warmth. This is getting old.

BeGreen said:
I wouldn't put the candles in the stove quite yet. We've been in another cold Arctic system now for a week. It's a big system that will be making it's way across the country. By Sat. am, most will be feeling its effects.

Woodpile is getting low. I'm ready for warmth. This is getting old.

I hear ya. I am spinning the electric meter with the space heaters today. Plenty of wood. Not enough get up and go.

It feels nice to not worry about it hey BB. I am going to put a 220 heater in my garage. It is under the house and would be the same temp as the house if the furnace ran...Without running it, its 42-55 degrees. I have to insulate the outer wall yet but the 17k btus should heat it nicely without worrying about the cost. I have a small 1500 watt 110 that does ok if its 20 or better with a little lead time. I want heat NOW! :cheese: This inbetween time I just run the furnace. I will pay the 30 bucks... I only do the fire below say 30-35 degrees, or if I am home all day.

If it gets above 45 I let the heat pump take over. Wife punches it up a couple degrees cuz she's no longer warm when it's 70 in the house, LOL. She's getting used to having a big stove for comfort.

I am still burning pretty much all day every day. This morning's temp was 36 so we're not out of winter yet. You people that get to stop burning as soon as the birds start singing seem to all have a decent back up source of heat. I don't want to use electric heat so long as a small wood fire will heat the whole house for most of the day and then another small fire if needed.

A very mild winter though so far. I am just about to burn the last day's worth of my cottonwood and then get into the fir. That's only 3.5 cords of low btu wood for 24/7 burning since October.

We have a new puppy that gives me "the look" when her fire goes out.

I'm not recommending pellets to anyone these days because of excessive price volatility since 2005, but they do come in real handy (even for wood burners) during the shoulder seasons. In fact, I was going to get out of the pellet game all together, but I think I'm going to use my existing supplies for just this use. Even if you have to pay $300 for a ton, it's still cheaper than electricity... plus it keeps the dog happy. ;)

We're up on a hill facing south, so if it's 50's and sunny, the house easily heats up into the mid 70's by
afternoon. I've had one fire in the last three days, and that wasn't really necessary. Unless we get a
big cool-off, I think I'm well into the shoulder season. I need to burn the wood that's in the garage so
that I have that space for the summer. The end is near. Time to work on 2010-2011 firewood season.
It's been beautiful in the woods. Even the carpenter ants are moving (after I wake 'em up).

Stoves been out for a few days, aside from a few burns. It's 40 outside right now, and the burner hasn't run since I've been home ( and I know it didn't run all day). Thermostat is set at 65, and it's 71 in here.

With oil right now @ $1.55 for 300 gallons, work on filling my 550 gallon tank, and stock up ;-) I'm going to save what wood I have, and keep on stacking and splitting for next year.

'Course if it gets cold, and we're looking at next week for over nights, I'll fire up the insert.

Wow, I made it through my first year with enough wood, and only clogged my cap once !! Long live the "Boost Baffle" :lol:

There isn't one window on the south side of this two story barn and I hate that. Of course as overcast as it has been it wouldn't make a difference the past week anyway. We got a beautiful 70 degree day today but the temp is gonna drop into the low thirties before sunup and cloudy and rainy tomorrow. Kindling time once again. >:-(

I started a small fire to take the chill off, its hit or miss at my chimney...

I started out with four cords and have burned 3. I have one cord stacked for next year and two cords of hardwood (c/s/d $300) being delivered tomorrow. I think I will be burning most nights through 4/15, and then one or two after that.

I am back to burning. Just at night...stoke in the am with a few pieces and go to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.