Question: Can somebody please help me out? I just installed an older Model Vigilant stove that was made in 1985. It is installed on the hearth of my old masonry fireplace and vented into an 8" stainless steel chimney liner that is 41' tall. I can't seem to get any heat out of this stove even with the air inlet wide open. I start a fire, get it burning good and close off the baffle over the vent, it burns really good and the stove gets up around 650 degrees but it barely warms up the room it is in. If you stand about six feet away you can hardly feel the heat. Do I need to install a damper in the flue? My wood isn't perfect but it seems to be dry enough. Please help me out! Answer: Answer #1 (Lehmans Hardware) A couple of thoughts and suggestions. If the unit is too far back in the fireplace the heat may be absorbed by the bricks thus not radiating into the room. If this is not the case then I would consider a couple of other options relating to draft. First your thought regarding a flue damper may be something to try, I doubt you would have an overdraft but it is possible. Another possibility if their is not a block off plate on around your flex liner is that you are getting drafting from the room just like you do with an open fireplace that is pulling air across the stove and up the chimney thus you are loosing heat. Hope this helps! Answer #2 (Craig Issod) Yes, a damper in the chimney, preferably a manual turn damper, might help your situation. Another variable is the wood, which you indicated was not so great. This can make a big difference. Lastly is the room size and the heat load of the home. A stove at 650 degrees is putting out some decent heat. If you are not feeling it, then the house may need A LOT of heat to keep it warm. Consider these points along with the other answer...especially making sure that your fireplace is well sealed where the liner pipe goes up at the bottom. 11/2007 A barometric damper, as a last resort, might help this situation.