No lie, but I'm getting 9-9.25 hour overnights with the Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
The past few weeks, I have been really getting some amazing overnight. We tend to stuff the stove to the limit using all different kind of splits and species at around 9pm. By 10 o clock the lever is all the way to the left. I wake up at 6:15 am and there is some coal that easy lights kindling and then small splits. I want to say this morning, I could of let the coals burn down even further for an extended burn of 9+ hours. For temperature purposes, it was 71 when I went to bed, and 63 when I woke up. This is the thermometer farthest from the stove. I feel like I'm getting the hang of it!

That's a nice over night overnight burn and morning temp. I can get the 9 hrs but the coal are real small. My back room would also kick the heat on by then (set @ 63). I can mix the coals and have a blaze in 20 minutes.

I've found that when the outside temps are higher (i.e. 20-40 degrees) and the winds are low to non-existent you can really get much longer burn times . . . at least that has been my experience with the Oslo . . . and the added benefit is that the inside temps don't seem to go down a whole lot.

Good job. When folks buy a new stove from us and call me 2 days later claiming they can only get 3 hour burns out of stove, I tell them to practice filling the stove. I'll go over the operation again (they seem to pay more attention when the stove is in their home than they do when I show them in the showroom) 1-2 weeks later I call to follow up and they are goin strong.

I currently have a customer who bought a Mansfield from us who told me he can only fit 2 4"-5" diameter splits in at a time, has glass that gets black and plugged his chimney in 4 months. I went over things again and I am quite sure when I call him in a few weeks it will be a different story.

Same here with my castine when I'm using hard maple. I've got a bunch of red maple in the shed and some cherry too, and I can load the stove moderately with these species and wake to warm ashes. A few hard maple splits and I've got a nice bed of coals for the morning fire. If I could really load the stove to the gills I'm sure I'd have some heat still coming off of it in the am., but the night would be too warm.

That's a great time. We have the same stove, and over the last several years, I've gotten more and more comfortable at letting it go longer, instead of staying up later to make sure the stove was packed with wood. I'll typically close up the stove for good around 10-10:30, make sure everything in there is lit up pretty well at least 400 degF, close the lever all the way to the left, and not look at it again until 6am.

Next morning, the stove top will thermometer will be at about 150-200 degF, I'll rake all the coals to the front, lay one small split down N-S, another on top E-W, and a minute or two later, we have flames again. And no black glass anymore in the morning, like I used to have at first...

I've had similar results. My definition of and overnight burn is enough coals left to start a fire (I know you don't need much) and a stove that's about 100 or 150F. It's great getting up in the morning and seeing that the temp has dropped a few degrees in the room the stove is in. Then raking the coals up front, tossing in some kindling (big splits in the rear) and watching it all light up quickly.

I've had a few burns where I've moved the air control all the way to the left....now that's pretty neat. Most of the time, I've got it about 80% closed.

You guys are missing out! Wednesday night I stuffed the stove with hedge ~10pm and shut down the air ~10:30pm to burn through the night. Left for work @ 7:00am the Thursday morning, house was ~70F and the stove was 350F. Got home Thurs. night ~7:00 pm, raked the ashes and found a nice bed of glowing coals. I threw in some kindling, a few more splits and opened the air...ten minutes later, we're off and burning again! 21 hours after the last load!

firefighterjake said:
I've found that when the outside temps are higher (i.e. 20-40 degrees) and the winds are low to non-existent you can really get much longer burn times . . . at least that has been my experience with the Oslo . . . and the added benefit is that the inside temps don't seem to go down a whole lot.

My experience too, especially with some big hardwood splits in there.

This is great news for me as I am, as we speak, seasoning our brand new Castine. :)

I just love reading stories like this! I have a friend who has an old, pre EPA stove (Fisher, I think), buys the cheapest wood she can find and doesn't work on getting a seasoned supply of wood established. When it's cold she grumbles about the "babysitting" the stove requires and what a pain the stove is and how she suffers to be cozy. So do a lot of other people I know.

I nod sympathetically and smile inwardly. I fully appreciate the beauty of seasoned firewood, nice EPA compliant stoves, and waking up to a stove full of coals that are ready to take right off when given some more fuel. The oil delivery guy mixed up the BIL's oil bill with our's last week. His was nearly $400 for about 6 wks.. Our's was $250 for the same period, a larger home, AND a barn. And it's warmer here than at his house!

It's great to read about other people who get the same sort of boot from burning wood. If you passed me on the street you'd probably never suspect how much fun I think a woodstove can be, lol.

Last time I lit a match was in mid December, a few warm days back then. I also have trusted the 7 to 8+ hour burn and now I'm usually headin gto bed around 10:30_ 11. Always have red embers at 7am. Re kindle, coffee, shower, reload full then off to work. Family members stoke when needed. Life is good for the time being. Cheers everyone.

I can't tell you how much my wife and I have loved this winter. With the remodeling of the basement , the addition of the stove and plasma TV, life has been great! We're so happy with the Jotul. I couldn't imagine any other stove. I have never seen a stove that even compares to the charm and look of a Jotul. I wish it was winter year round! We're on February break and it's going to be a fun week with the stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.