Stove vent and loading/reloading newbie?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks good Caw! Our property is basically an open lot rectangle with 2 sides woods lined so I need to figure out orientation. We get good wind that travels down hill to us through a few open yards so hoping to orientate to that to take advantage just need to figure out the sun situation.

Thanks. If you have to decide between the two keep in mind that wind is more important than sun. It does the bulk of the drying unless you're using a solar kiln.

Thanks. If you have to decide between the two keep in mind that wind is more important than sun. It does the bulk of the drying unless you're using a solar kiln.
So in that case if I stick to building something like the pic i posted I should probably not have a back to it to keep the air moving through? This is how my property is oriented, there are more trees cleared in the back now so much more open. Not sure if if I should put it towards the back woods line or somewhere alongside the house. I know downside to keeping close to the house is pests.

1.PNG

Thanks guys! I guess in all types of forums there's always something people don't seem to like to admit like their all motor small block Chevy with a mild cam is fast by todays standards lol

Im thinking about building something similar to this in the Spring but curious to look up that solar shed, thanks

View attachment 291421
My wood shed is very similar to this. This one def looks better because I used round logs I found in the woods as my posts and part of my roof. White oak and cedar. I'll see if I can find a pic to post.

I do have a back on mine, but it has open slats, just like the one in the pic. It does a great job. Personally, I would put the back on because there will be a lot of weight pushing against the sides once you load it to the gills. The back will ensure the structure can handle that outward pressure. With the open slats, it will flow plenty of air.

Also, my shed is in the woods, along with all of my covered stacks. This is of course not the ideal location. But there are two reasons for that: 1) We live on a heavily wooded lot, so there are few options, 2) My wife would not want my unsightly wood shed and wood stacks in the yard. So it takes me a bit longer to get well seasoned wood, but it still gets just as dry. Once you get a few years ahead, its no big deal.

but curious to look up that solar shed, thanks

Reactions: velocity1
My wood shed is very similar to this. This one def looks better because I used round logs I found in the woods as my posts and part of my roof. White oak and cedar. I'll see if I can find a pic to post.

I do have a back on mine, but it has open slats, just like the one in the pic. It does a great job. Personally, I would put the back on because there will be a lot of weight pushing against the sides once you load it to the gills. The back will ensure the structure can handle that outward pressure. With the open slats, it will flow plenty of air.

Also, my shed is in the woods, along with all of my covered stacks. This is of course not the ideal location. But there are two reasons for that: 1) We live on a heavily wooded lot, so there are few options, 2) My wife would not want my unsightly wood shed and wood stacks in the yard. So it takes me a bit longer to get well seasoned wood, but it still gets just as dry. Once you get a few years ahead, its no big deal.
Good deal thanks! Im thinking about putting it by my shed, in the pic above the shed is on the top left corner which is about 10 feet from the woods line. I think that is ideal (more so for the wife since you wont notice it as much) but I know trekking across the yard during the snow wont be fun. I guess I can always keep one of my 4x8 metal racks near the house as kind of a middle point so use that for immediate burn and when its empty then I head back to the main supply to get refills.

Its not pretty, but its functional. I used clear plastic roofing panels. I do get a little bit of sunlight through the trees, so I wanted to make the most of it. The total cost was under $200. The small amount of dimensional lumber I bought was 70% off at Home Depot because it was ugly and partly warped, which didn't really matter for what I was doing. I have made some modifications to it since these pics were taken, but you get the idea.

KIMG1302.JPG KIMG1303.JPG KIMG1317.JPG KIMG1318.JPG

I would put a back on your shed made of slats as everyone mentioned. They'll give you the structural support you need but also allow the air to flow thru the stacks. It would be ideal to have the wind hit the more open side of the shed but that's not really possible for you. You don't want the front facing your neighbor!

I'm really surprised you get an E to W predominant wind being in CT. It must just be a geographical thing in your area.

So I marked up your original pic to show you how my house is set up. My lot is oriented identical to yours except the driveway is on the left of my house and the wind goes hard W to E.

Blue = my primary drying stacks. (4 x 20' two deep races. 8 cords total)
Green = overflow pallet islands. 5 cords total
Yellow = uglies and firepit bins
Red = 3 cords of oak rounds in my driveway I cut/stacked before I got hurt.

I intend to add another 20' rack so I have 10 cords rapidly drying next year. Just gotta heal up first. Long term my plan is to make a lean to roof structure over all 5 racks but with the cost of wood now that's delayed indefinitely. I will replace cheapo tarps every few years.

Screenshot_20220204-104244_Chrome~2.jpg

I would put a back on your shed made of slats as everyone mentioned. They'll give you the structural support you need but also allow the air to flow thru the stacks. It would be ideal to have the wind hit the more open side of the shed but that's not really possible for you. You don't want the front facing your neighbor!

I'm really surprised you get an E to W predominant wind being in CT. It must just be a geographical thing in your area.

So I marked up your original pic to show you how my house is set up. My lot is oriented identical to yours except the driveway is on the left of my house and the wind goes hard W to E.

Blue = my primary drying stacks. (4 x 20' two deep races. 8 cords total)
Green = overflow pallet islands. 5 cords total
Yellow = uglies and firepit bins
Red = 3 cords of oak rounds in my driveway I cut/stacked before I got hurt.

I intend to add another 20' rack so I have 10 cords rapidly drying next year. Just gotta heal up first. Long term my plan is to make a lean to roof structure over all 5 racks but with the cost of wood now that's delayed indefinitely. I will replace cheapo tarps every few years.
Sorry to hear about the injury! Ah k thanks. Wish I could doe a similar orientation but I know my neighbor wont be happy about the view.

Yeah the wind is definitely odd but I think its because of it being a valley and from the top right of the pic going diagonal down its a hill. The back of our house gets slammed with wind, we have original windows from 1975 and the whole back of the house chatters like crazy when the wind pics up (cant wait to replace them, super drafty)

Sorry to hear about the injury! Ah k thanks. Wish I could doe a similar orientation but I know my neighbor wont be happy about the view.

Yeah the wind is definitely odd but I think its because of it being a valley and from the top right of the pic going diagonal down its a hill. The back of our house gets slammed with wind, we have original windows from 1975 and the whole back of the house chatters like crazy when the wind pics up (cant wait to replace them, super drafty)

You could put them on the west side of the property? They'll get nice wind and at least some good morning sun.

Yeah I broke my shoulder 3 weeks ago. No axes until the summer unfortunately.

Remember to try to keep Handling the wood to a minimum. Less moving and distance with tons of wood is a Big consideration. Especially if you are using a wheelbarrow vs a tractor.

Remember to try to keep Handling the wood to a minimum. Less moving and distance with tons of wood is a Big consideration. Especially if you are using a wheelbarrow vs a tractor.
+1 for sure.

I use my lawn tractor and a small trailer to move most of mine around during processing before it snows. Makes a world of difference. Once snow hits we have two big log bags we use to fill the 4x4x6' rack in the basement. It's hard work but we only need to do it once a week or so.