no luck with craigslist firewood sellers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DiBar said:
Or do what we did last year as first year wood burneers with "not so seaasoned" hickory: we flipped two kitchen stools upside down, put them in front of the stove (close while we were home, further away when we weren't), layed splits across the rungs, rotated them every hour or so....voila - enough dry wood for the next day! Took a bit of time, but when our chimney was cleaned after that season, the cleaner dude said it looked great! So I am assuming it worked as far as creosote went.

Wow. Maybe I'll go get a couple kitchen stools just for that. That's a really smart idea.

How big were those splits? And how "not so seasoned" were they, just curiously? In other words, how long ago had they been split and where'd they been since then?

I've been loosely stacking stuff just outside the "combustible" range of the stove, but it's not so clear to me it's made a huge difference, though I haven't taken the moisture meter to it.

Split size 16 - 18" long and 2 - 8" wide (mostly triangular). I think before we bought them he had them in a huge pile - said for 10 months. Some burned well, but others were very wet - the moisture just poured out. We had them stacked in single rows, ends to the wind for a few months before we burned any. This year....they burn like a charm with no fancy drying, the stools have returned to their original purpose!

DiBar said:
Split size 16 - 18" long and 2 - 8" wide (mostly triangular). I think before we bought them he had them in a huge pile - said for 10 months. Some burned well, but others were very wet - the moisture just poured out. We had them stacked in single rows, ends to the wind for a few months before we burned any. This year....they burn like a charm with no fancy drying, the stools have returned to their original purpose!

Very cool. Thanks. I had some wood like that once, splits sat in a big pile in the middle of a field all year before I got it. The stuff that had been on the outside burned beautifully, the stuff that had been in the middle not so much!

Well I spoke to a seller this afternoon...Its been split for about 8 months he said and I then explained to him about my EPA stove and he offered to give me a few splits to try out first and if they burn in my stove then we can make a deal. Thats what im talking about! I hope it burns now but either way this is the kind of person I like doing business with.

Status
Not open for further replies.