No more Merkle-Korff motors for me.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funflyer

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2014
Central Arizona
I'll start by letting you know my stove has less than one ton of pellets through it since new. Two weeks ago the auger motor, Merkle Korff (MK), started making a rumbling sound with each cycle so I shot some white lithium grease into each end of the motor while it was running and the noise immediately went away. During the next stove cleaning I removed and inspected the bushing but found no wear so I used some high temp grease on it and put it back together. All was quiet up until yesterday when it started it's rumbling again.

I bought a 1RPM GA (Gleason Avery) motor a few months back to eventually replace the 2RPM stirrer motor and try to cut down on some of the fly ash so in it went. Now I swapped out the frame/bushing from the stirrer to the auger and all is quiet again. As soon as the season is over I'm pulling the MK and using another GA motor for the auger. I can't believe how much quieter (almost silent) and smoother the GA motors are and for a bunch less money. Ball bearings make all the difference. Looks like I'll be keeping the MKs only as spares from now on.

Also, slowing the stirrer down has almost eliminated the fly ash and still keeps the burn pot clean.

The Elenas have the MK auger ... I don't find them loud at all. Have to check to make sure there are still pellets dropping at times and I do have sensitive hearing. The Elenas were made in 2009. Could be a bad batch or they have changed supplier/material specs for bearings ?

Could be a bad batch or they have changed supplier/material specs for bearings ?

That's possible as I purchased my stove new but several years out of production. All I know is I won't be buying an MK motor any time soon just to find out if they improved them.

There was a manufacture that had some stoves sit in a very hot warehouse and the motors had issues because the oil and grease weaped out.

I bought 2 of the ga's earlier this yr and they have been great and for half the price of the originals you can't beat it

Status
Not open for further replies.