No Programmable Thermostat...... Timer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa220

Feeling the Heat
Aug 10, 2012
central ME
My Harman P43 does not have a programmable thermostat. Has anyone ever put their stove on a timer for those occasions when they may be gone overnight?

This would be a rare occurrence, but rather than have to turn up the oil thermostat, I was thinking of a timer to have turn on the stove about 10 at night and run till 6 a.m.

The timer would be plugged into the surge protector with the stove then plugged into the timer.

I set up something like this. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-harman-pellet-stoves.6399/page-2#post-948443
Have a programmable thermostat that adds/remove resistance. Works great. Use it this time of year to start stove in the morning so it will be toasty when me and the misses gets up. I do not set my stove back at night during the dead of winter. I find it takes too long to get my house back up to temp. Lots of discussion on the pros and cons of setting stove back at night. I simply turn the thermostat to the off position and the stove runs normal off the thermistor. I pretty much run my in room temp mode all the time.

On my Enviro M55C I use a 5-2 day programmable t-stat. Lux TX500U.
During heating season,
I run the stove in hi/lo mode (Heat level 3) and let the t-stat control the temp of the house.
Works great and the by using a setback of 60degs during late night hours saves fuel.
And heating this place from 60 to 70 only takes 1/2 hour in mornings (before I get up).
Its a real nice feature to have.

Basically the stat functions as a timer.

My stat is in the room next to the stove room. This evens out the house temps.
Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Now that I think about it, a timer probably is not a good idea, because if the stove is running when the timer clicks the power off, the stove will shut off like in a power outage and the fans will stop causing the stove to not shut down properly. You will most likely end up with smoke in the house all the time. If you wanna do this the thermostat is the way to go.

Reactions: gbreda
I would not do a timer, but you can put a thermostat on the harman by splicing into the room probe wires, i have done a few programable ones for our customers here

A timer would indeed end up shutting down at the wrong time (like when the stove was buring) and depending on run of pipe and stuff could smoke into house or over time hurt the stove etc

Now that I think about it, a timer probably is not a good idea, because if the stove is running when the timer clicks the power off, the stove will shut off like in a power outage and the fans will stop causing the stove to not shut down properly. You will most likely end up with smoke in the house all the time. If you wanna do this the thermostat is the way to go.
Great point. I had not even thought about that but you're right!

Status
Not open for further replies.