No refractory or firebick in a Jotul Firelight F600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Has anyone noticed the lack of refractory or firebrick in the Jotul F 600 Firelight? It's cast on all sides. I thought non-cat reburn tube stoves needed the bricks to store and reflect heat for the secondary burn. Should I be concerned? How does Jotul do it?

Jotuls have interior cast iron burn plates that surround the firebox. This is also how they reduce clearances. Don't be concerned, they've been making stoves for over a century.

Hi, my F 500 has firebrick on the back wall. It was one of the features about the stove that led me to choose the Oslo over the F 600.

Jim

No firebrick on my old Firelight. Dunno how they do it or how it works but even without running the cat I don't get smoke out the chimney except immediately after a re-load.

Jotul puts ceramic fiber blankets behind the cast burn plates inside some of their stoves to provide insulation.

That 600 is one nice and well burning stove. The only fault I can find with it is that you can only get the side door on the right; which is a problem for 1/2 of us. I've watched them burn and the secondary burner has no problem keeping up with the load.

The new ones have a door on the right???. Do they still have the top load door and a front door or does the door on the side replace the front?

Front and side doors, the top load is decorative.

the top load is decorative.

Now THAT is just wrong. TOP LOADERS FOREVER!!!!.

I guess I have to agree with the benefit of top loading; having said that I am installing a Hearthstone Mansfield, front load only. I am going to miss top loading (I think) as I've had it for 20+ years. But, there seem to be some drawbacks to most of the top loading stoves available today.
I watched the forum for quite a while to see what people had to say about front loading; it seems the folks with a single front door don't have much of a problem with it. A side door is a bonus too; as long as it is on a side that you can use.
My shop stove is front only and I've used that without problems for a long time; never thought about it before but I acutally like it because I can get some pieces in there that I couldn't get in the top loader. (I'd take those pieces out to the shop to burn).
So, we'll see. But the top load plate on the 600 now exposes the inside for cleaning only; because the secondary burn tubes are mounted to the stove roof.

I'm biased I guess. I grew up with a VC (Vigilant or Defiant...can't remember). It had a front door and a door on the left side. I did not like it from a loading point (otherwise it was a nice stove). It was hard to pack full and you had to wrastle that last piece which had to be the correct size and shape to get it on top. With a top loader that isn't a problem and you can stuff that thing right to the bottom of the loading plate. Yeah, you can get some battle scars on your forearms but you can get that on a front or side door too.

Looks like i'll be keeping my old Firelight until I can't get parts anymore (and i've got almost one complete set of interior parts including a cat all boxed up in the basement).

The Morso only has firebrick at the back of the stove. The sides are double walled and have insulation in them. There is also insulation on top of the secondary burn baffle/plate.
As has been stated, Jotul (and Morso) have been building stoves since BEFORE the Civil War, no worries.

Oh
SIDE LOADERS RULE
No way you can get as much wood (given equal firebox size) in a top loader as us side loaders can ;)

Oh
SIDE LOADERS RULE
No way you can get as much wood (given equal firebox size) in a top loader as us side loaders can ;)

Uh-oh...looks like we got the makins' for a load off!!!.

woodconvert said:
Oh
SIDE LOADERS RULE

Top load = restrictor plate racing 8)

babalu87 said:
woodconvert said:
Oh
SIDE LOADERS RULE

Top load = restrictor plate racing 8)

Coming from a side drafter i'd think you'd dig it!. ;-P

jbrown56 said:
Hi, my F 500 has firebrick on the back wall. It was one of the features about the stove that led me to choose the Oslo over the F 600.

Jim

They're also in the F400 back wall. I was wondering about adding insulation behind the side plates too. But it looks like there is are air channels there.

Status
Not open for further replies.