No Reply from Hearthstone - maybe can get answers here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gleblanc1783

Dec 12, 2013
NH
Hi all, hope your burning season is off to a great start (it is here). Also Happy Halloween! I sent an email to Hearthstone a few weeks ago but have gotten not a single reply since. I know this community (been a member for quite some time now) is very knowledgeable so I figured it was worth a shot.

You can see the email below and was wondering here if anyone had any thoughts? I put all the info in the email based on the most common reply questions I saw on this forum.

Pictures attached.

"
Good Morning,

My wife and I are new owners of a Hearthstone Manchester that was installed in May (new construction home in New Hampshire). I had a few questions about stove operation.

First off, the stove is installed in our first floor living room with a vertical (black) double walled pipe that goes up a few feet and then does a 90 degree turn which leads out to a stainless run of at least 30 feet. It was installed by a quality and reputable dealer of yours. Also this is not our first wood stove and we are experienced with Hearthstone stoves. However, this is our first stove with a cat.

What is the optimum stove top (actual stove top temperature read with an IR thermometer in between the decorative top) temperature? I don't see this information in the manual. It seems 600-650F to be what I can gather on the internet as this is not a normal soapstove stone which has lower stove top temps.

How accurate is the catalyst, built in, thermometer? According to the manual, I've been letting the stove run for at least 25-30 minutes wide open to get the catalysts and pipe up to temp to lower the creosote build up. However, when I do this and then slowly start to bring the air control down, the catalyst thermometer will quickly approach the "too hot" section no matter what I do. Of course, if I start to bring down the air control sooner, it seems to stay in the upper 1/3 of the "active" range, however this goes against your recommendation for creosote.

I've checked the gaskets, the ash tray, etc and all seems well.

We are burning seasoned various hardwood, about average 18% moisture content of a fresh split.

Looking forward to your reply, this is an absolutely gorgeous stove and we'd like to keep it for a very very long time by taking care of it. "

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 153
I can't answer the cat question, but soapstone usually sits around 400 degrees +/- 50. Any hotter than that and you risk cracking the soapstone. I think with the cat engaged, they stones will be slightly cooler anyway so I'd be surprised if you can even hit 600. Beautiful stove. I would have to think you have some pretty good draft with a 30' chimney.

Reactions: gleblanc1783
I can't answer the cat question, but soapstone usually sits around 400 degrees +/- 50. Any hotter than that and you risk cracking the soapstone. I think with the cat engaged, they stones will be slightly cooler anyway so I'd be surprised if you can even hit 600. Beautiful stove. I would have to think you have some pretty good draft with a 30' chimney.

Thanks for the reply. The Manchester is a cast iron stove with a few soapstone bricks lining the interior. So it's not a true 100% soap stove stove where those ~450F stop top temps really make sense. Most fires I've had hit that ~600 to ~650F no problem with the cat thermometer pegged at the line between "active" and "too hot." I just worry about creosote, who knows maybe with the cat I don't have to worry too much.

I just bought a probe thermometer from Condar I think that will help me dial things in a bit more.

Totally agree about the look, we looked for a long time and honestly this Manchester is a beauty. Let's see how well it holds up for the next 30 years. We had a Hearthstone Shelburne before this and loved it.

Edit: cast iron not steel.

If you're hitting temps like that, you have no creosote. Might want to add an inline damper to avoid over firing. I'm sure other more seasoned burners will chime in with good advice.

Reactions: gleblanc1783