No shoulder season wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Constrictor

Hearth Supporter
This is going to be a bad year. Apparently I have no shoulder season wood, no pine, poplar or walnut. I'm stuck with 15 cords of 3 year old red and white oak.

burn it and open a window!

pen

Constrictor said:
This is going to be a bad year. Apparently I have no shoulder season wood, no pine, poplar or walnut. I'm stuck with 15 cords of 3 year old red and white oak.

poor you. All you have is a crap load of awesome wood.

I think if I were in that situation I would split some of the splits. Smaller splits burn hot and quick and you'll burn less wood. Either way you're in great shape.

Constrictor said:

Apparently all I got is shoulder season wood. What am I going to heat with when its winter? :ahhh:

That sucks. I can trade you a cord of red maple for 2 cords of oak. You'll have to do the driving though.

I'll be in the same boat in 2 years. I'm not worried....quite the opposite actually.

I've been burnin' the uglies this Summer in bofires. My 4 kids are 14-24 years ols so that about took care ot any 'imperfect' wood.

On the plus side my very petite and prissy 24 YO daugher has started hauling a bit of wood home, and is learning to use the splitter. She even split some with the sledge and wedge last week. ; )

I admit it does feel kind of strange burning wood that sounds like baseball bats if dropped before we even get a hard frost!

ATB,
Mike

Constrictor said:

Some folks have it really bad....

north of 60 said:
Constrictor said:

Apparently all I got is shoulder season wood. What am I going to heat with when its winter? :ahhh:

Now thats funny!

Constrictor said:

I have not an ounce of sympathy for you Constrictor.......none! :p :lol:

:) :) :)

To both the OP and North's comments.

Constrictor said:
You are sunk! :lol:
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of burn times I can get out of my shoulder wood. It's mostly Black Cherry, so there'll be a delightful aroma around here for a while. I've also got some Red Elm, which I assumed was shoulder wood. After burning a load with that included a couple of Red Elm rounds, and being able to light the stove off the 'clinker' coals about 23 hours later, the Red Elm may be better than I thought, based on the BTU ratings lists...

north of 60 said:
Constrictor said:

Maybe you can get a lucky score with a low bid on ebay. Look for a seller who offers free shipping...
I wouldn't worry, though. You've got a Blaze King; I've heard they'll burn for a week and a half on two SuperCedars.

north of 60 said:
Constrictor said:

LOL :lol:
You need an efficient stove ;)

Thats what u get for being a snake

The stack I am pulling from right now is a mix of birch/spruce/cottonwood. I got into a good bit of cottonwood this week and I can't wait to have it all burned. Doesn't last worth a darn! I loaded the stove last night before going to bed around midnight or so. When I got up this morning around 9 it was almost dead!

With a good load of birch it would still be going and I'd reload it a bit before leaving for work at 2PM.

I have the same problem. Nothing but Black Locust and White Oak on hand. I feel like I should go looking for some junk wood for now and the spring.

loaded the stove with shorts and uglies last night. got too warm and too long a burn for this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.