No snow.......yet!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
IMG_0091%2520%25281024x768%2529-756258.jpg

Since the snow hasn't started piling up yet, I have been taking advantage of this time to cut wood waaaaay out in the brush where I can't get to it in deep snow!

Nice pic. Makes me want to go cut wood. Is that a polaris sawtooth?? Cheers

Watch it. The Hodag lives waaaay out in the brush...

Looks good! We got an inch of snow at our place here in Tennessee this morning. However, I'm sure it won't be "piling up" around here anytime soon. :)

Winter storm warning for 1-3 tonight in NNJ.

Very warm this year. A ski resort up the road is planning it's official opening celebration - with NO snow. Can't even make it with these temps.

About an inch predicted tonight . . . such promise with the pre-Halloween and pre-Thanksgiving Day storms . . . only to have it all melt away. The way we're going I figure we'll get another big one on Christmas Eve . . .

Stinks for sledders . . . good for those of us still cutting firewood.

Nice picture quads
A perfect winter around here means no significant snow down in the valley bottoms, and lots of snow up in the mountains for skiers and everyone to enjoy.
Right now there is no snow down in the valleys where I live, but there’s a few inches up in the mountains where I get my wood.
Actually I would rather have no snow up where I cut because it’s safer to go off road with the truck, but I got delayed with my cutting this year. Even though we stayed on the road because of the snow, we still managed to fill up the truck from one spot, just had to carry some of it a little further than usual. Although one big tree we didn’t have to carry far at all, I dropped it right across the road and backed the truck right up to it.

My wife doing her victory dance on top of the fire wood load.
victorywood.JPG

Victory?? Whatever she did, she was victorious in getting YOU to lug the wood :coolsmirk:

What good is winter without snow?!?

Great pic Lots of colorful leaves still.
I don't see big old trees, did this area have a blight or was it once farm land?
Hope you find your maul, I know it would be in the pictures if you hadn't lost it. :lol:

I want your four-wheeler and trailer.

May have jinxed yourself, using the "S" word.
BackwoodsS did & in a few days, had to plow snow & pick up broken limbs from his driveway. :)

Backwoods said:
Nice pic. Makes me want to go cut wood. Is that a polaris sawtooth?? Cheers
Thanks! That is a 2006 Polaris Hawkeye 300 4x4. Only made them two years, I believe.

Woody Stover said:
Watch it. The Hodag lives waaaay out in the brush...
I am the Hodag! BWAHAHAHAHA! <--evil laugh

Coach B said:
Looks good! We got an inch of snow at our place here in Tennessee this morning. However, I'm sure it won't be "piling up" around here anytime soon. :)
We had 4 inches a month ago, then it melted, then we had a little here and there, but the last of it melted again.

basswidow said:
Winter storm warning for 1-3 tonight in NNJ.

Very warm this year. A ski resort up the road is planning it's official opening celebration - with NO snow. Can't even make it with these temps.
1-3....inches? Or feet? Around here they would never issue a winter storm warning for anything under 6 inches, and even then it would have to be accompanied by ice or something.

firefighterjake said:
About an inch predicted tonight . . . such promise with the pre-Halloween and pre-Thanksgiving Day storms . . . only to have it all melt away. The way we're going I figure we'll get another big one on Christmas Eve . . .

Stinks for sledders . . . good for those of us still cutting firewood.
I like snow, even though I'm not a snowmobiler anymore. Sometimes I miss snowmobiling.....

Carbon_Liberator said:
Nice picture quads
A perfect winter around here means no significant snow down in the valley bottoms, and lots of snow up in the mountains for skiers and everyone to enjoy.
Right now there is no snow down in the valleys where I live, but there’s a few inches up in the mountains where I get my wood.
Actually I would rather have no snow up where I cut because it’s safer to go off road with the truck, but I got delayed with my cutting this year. Even though we stayed on the road because of the snow, we still managed to fill up the truck from one spot, just had to carry some of it a little further than usual. Although one big tree we didn’t have to carry far at all, I dropped it right across the road and backed the truck right up to it.

My wife doing her victory dance on top of the fire wood load.
Thanks! And nice pic to you too! Love the wife's victory dance. Hope those rounds don't shift on her....oops!

I know what you mean about carrying wood out through the snow. I have an ice-fishing sled for that. Just fill it up and walk back and forth between trailer and tree.

bogydave said:
Great pic Lots of colorful leaves still.
I don't see big old trees, did this area have a blight or was it once farm land?
Hope you find your maul, I know it would be in the pictures if you hadn't lost it. :lol:
HA! The maul was around there somewhere! Those are white oak and they will hold their leaves like that all winter. The land here was prairie/grassland less than 75 years ago, there were no trees, or very few then. What big trees we did have in this section of the woods got tipped over by a tornado and then cleaned up by the loggers several years ago.

woodland guy said:
I want your four-wheeler and trailer.
HA! Thanks! Can't have them......

We were supposed to get 3-6" last weekend and didn't get any, all rain instead, so my "logging operation" scrounge will be extended ! :)

Pat53 said:
We were supposed to get 3-6" last weekend and didn't get any, all rain instead, so my "logging operation" scrounge will be extended ! :)
The snow missed us by 50 miles. I got 3/4" of rain.

We got about 2" last night....enough to make it look great without the plowing! ;-)

Everyone is different.

I want the snow to go get wood. I've got a new cab tractor.. and don't venture too far off the drive to get wood. I've been cutting some of the blow downs and stacking them for later pickup with the snowmobile.

I've got a 500WT skandic, and just bought a nice Alamo sled. Think it will be a good time hauling wood with it.

JP

JP11 said:
Everyone is different.

I want the snow to go get wood. I've got a new cab tractor.. and don't venture too far off the drive to get wood. I've been cutting some of the blow downs and stacking them for later pickup with the snowmobile.

I've got a 500WT skandic, and just bought a nice Alamo sled. Think it will be a good time hauling wood with it.

JP
Yup, I've been saving the dead trees close to the trails for when the snow does come. Snow/no snow, either way I keep plugging along! HA!

It is on those snowless days that I try to take advantage of by cutting anything that grows on the slopes. I hate slipping in the snow, especially when a chain saw is in my hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.