no space to slip hand into fireplace to connect liner to insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2016
oregon
Hello,

There is only ½ inch space between the maximum height of my fireplace opening and the minimum height required by the Drolet Escape 1400i. This means once the insert is inside the fireplace, there is no room to put my hand in to connect the chimney’s liner to the insert. The only way I could think of is to extend the liner pass the fireplace’s opening. Then connect the liner to the insert externally, then lift-and-tilt the insert (with the liner connected) to put it inside the fireplace, at the same time pull the liner (from the top of the chimney) to retract the slack of the liner. This seems extremely difficult since the insert is of course very heavy and the liner most likely doesn’t slide easily up/down the chimney, AND especially after the 6” liner has been ovalized to fit through a 5” rectangular damper.

Is there another way (beside knocking out bricks) to do the above? Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Sorry, but that doesn't sound like a real hopeful situation to me...I have 6-8" above mine and it is still a real PITA.
Maybe @bholler will have some sage advise here...

I have a similar situation (see avatar). I have hard pipe set at the exact spot to line up with the opening on the stove. I slowly push the shove back into position, verifying the alignment as it moves in.

You certainly have a lot going on here, in the long run it may be better to do things a little different. Maybe remove the damper or at least knock out a section of it the give you a little more flexibility with the liner movement, plus you wont have to ovalize the liner at the bottom.
1/2" of space makes it difficult to see let alone work on anything. With some inserts you can twist them slightly, and since the sides are tapered, you may have room to get a hand up in that area to make a connection.
If the chimney is on the outside of the house and is accessible, you could hire it out, and remove a few bricks, then reach in, and hook it up. I've seen some that will then install an access door on the outside of the chimney, and now you have a great way to access that area for maintenance and cleaning.

You must have a pretty small fireplace...as the 1400i is only about 20-21" tall.
I have a 1400i that I soon will be installing in place of the VZ stove that is in the fireplace now, fortunately I have a lil more room to work with than it sounds like you do. Mine will be sitting on a short steel pedestal that I made for it to give it more of a "free standing stove" look (I'm not using the surround cover)

you may be able to remove the stoves baffle and reach up from inside the stove.
some heavy stainless straps attached to liner before placing the unit and attach to inside of stove to secure.

Reactions: double-d
Heatsources idea is about the only thing you can do. you will not be able to angle it in with the liner attached. And even if you could get it lined up and dropped in like electrathon suggested you still need to attach it somehow. And do not ovalize the liner cut out the damper to make room it will work much better.

I agree it would be best to not ovalize the liner, for draft and in your case movement.

A few companies make an appliance adaptor with SS straps built in, so you can pull it down from inside the stove and secure it. I've installed a few little inserts that came with one, they figured you'd need it if you are buying such a small unit I guess.

Yes, it'll be a pita. Especially there is a brick arc at the top of the chimney which will make feeding the liner down the chimney more difficult. Probably has to destroy this arc. Anyway, I uploaded the instruction to use the AC2006 adapter.

Attachments

• droletac2006adapter.pdf
    770.1 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: brenndatomu
Status
Not open for further replies.