1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

No Timberjack... how do you buck without killin your chain?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Big Donnie Brasco, May 14, 2013.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Skip the timberjack for sure. And the cut/roll method works. That said, you WILL want a cant hook for log rolling. Very handy tool for the inevitable bar pinch situation too. Do you need one right this minute, no, but I'd plan on aquiring one for the future. ;)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Until you get a cant hook, a spud bar works fine......I've been using a spud since I started heating with wood.
  3. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    [​IMG]
    Your'e not from Alaska??
    Man how big are those guys???
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Cut and roll . . . and since I'm so cheap if the tree is too large to just roll with my foot, I'll just cut a sapling and use it as a lever rather than buying a cant dog (although that tool would certainly work better.)
    Big Donnie Brasco likes this.
  5. Big Donnie Brasco

Big Donnie Brasco Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Central Kansas
    I'm with you Jake!
    I am forever on a budget, and I am a tightwad! My grandfather used to say that copper wire was invented when someone tried to take a penny from me! :)
    DexterDay and PapaDave like this.
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

;lol

That's a new one for me.... ==c
  7. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    For anything under 24" I'll just palm it with my left hand and lop off rounds with an 880 using my right. For the bigger stuff I pick it up and put it on a saw buck. No sense in showing off or hurting yourself. :p

Either that, or I cut and roll as previously described. You decide which works out best for you.
  8. nate379

nate379 Guest

Well... yeah!

I don't have an 880 though?!!! I have a 460 (limbing saw) and a 660 (main saw), will that work?

9. Big Donnie Brasco

Big Donnie Brasco Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Central Kansas
    NO... that would be an 1120 !! ;)
  10. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    I also have timber jack & don't use much .I use the roll method as most you all do & I use a plastic felling wedge to stop bar pinch.I've not heard that mentioned .Anyone else use a felling wedge for on the ground bucking?

just wondering::P
  11. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Guilty
  12. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Me too. You can't tell which wedge gets used, too. It's fallen into the cut and been kicked out by the saw more than once, which is why this is a bad practice ;)
  13. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    Ya ,figured I catch Hell for that.

That's happened a couple times, mostly the smaller rounds.

Sorry to say I will continue this until such time someone lets me in on a better way

Cheers & be safe
  14. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    No, when the kerf starts to close up, I know it's time to pull out.

The technical term for this is "cutus interruptus".;em

Also note, because the kerf pinches the top of the bar first, the thrust of the chain will cause the bar to squirt out on its own, if allowed.
    Danno77 likes this.
  15. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I'm just glad someone here bought the Dexter saw. Nice rig!
    DexterDay likes this.
  16. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Someone from Arborsitsite bought the Pro that I had listed for sale here (and on AS too). Don bought the other 035 I was selling (non Pro 036, but has Pro plastic :)) I got full asking on both saws. The one I listed here and there for $400 was a very nice unit, but I didn't think I'd get $400... The guy not only gave me full asking price. But then asked me a week later to sell him this one (after I already promised Don). That guy has given me a bunch of Prop's on AS.

Don should be pretty happy with this saw. Its almost all new (crank and bottom end are untouched) but everything else has been rebuilt or replaced. :)
  17. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Did it get a muffler mod?
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yes. I opened up the factory port (almost double and opened a Slit in front of it). It ran pretty good (really good!!!) When it left here ;)
  19. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    You just spoiled that boy ! He will be disappointed if he ever bought a stock saw!
    DexterDay likes this.
  20. Scols

Scols Member

Loc:
    Springs New York
    Don I have a Timberjack and I find it very useful. First of all its no more work to reposition a log on the timber jack than it is to constantly be rerolling a log. In fact I usually just drag more of the log into position on the jack rather than putting it down and picking it back up in a new position. As far as the foot sinking into soft ground ,this is easily solved by putting a piece of scrap 2x or plywood underneath. And finally, the 8" that the jack lifts the log makes a big difference in how your back feels at the end of a long session of bucking . A wise man once told me that if you spend your day with your ass higher than your head then your doing something wrong. So why do any extra bending. Plus with a jack you dont have to mess with wedges etc. Besides if you dont like the jack feature it takes about 30 seconds to take it off and now you have a cant hook.
  21. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Hmmm. . . I can't say that I've ever re-rolled a log. Ever. With a logjack you are lucky to get 2 cuts before re-positioning. I'd rather roll a log once (especially if it's a big log) than have a new wrestling match every 2 cuts. But what do I know? I think each of us has to figure out what doesn't work.

As for the @$$ to head ratio, 90% of that can be remedied with a 24"+ bar. Running those little ticklers with a short bar one is bound to be bent over most of the day.
    Joful, smokinj and DexterDay like this.
  22. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Get the 82 inch cannon bar and stay in the truck! ;)
  23. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I was going to put a 32" Cannon on my 440, but it was not compatible with Stihl round bit skip tooth chain.
    smokinj likes this.
  24. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

I think I only paid 60.00 for a stihl 32 inch for my 460.
    DexterDay likes this.
  25. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Whatever my pursuit, whether it be felling and bucking trees or cooking, I watch what the pros use and wear. Then I buy and learn to use as close to that as my budget will permit. I've never seen a pro use a timber jack, but I've seen many peaveys and cant hooks.

After felling and limbing, I grab my 20" stick and top-handle saw, and run down the log marking off 20" increments. Takes just a few seconds. Then I grab the 036 or 064, and cut thru 80-90% at each mark. Roll the log once, and finish each cut. Easy peasy.
    Danno77, DexterDay and smokinj like this.