1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

NOAA’s Winter Outlook

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by thewoodlands, Oct 20, 2011.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I always figure winter is what winter is . . . you can read all the predictions, study the wooly bears and hornet nests . . . but the only way to know what the winter will be like is when it's over and you can look back and say, "That wasn't so bad" or "Holy cow . . . I've had enough snow and cold to last me a lifetime -- or at least until July when I'll complain about the heat and humidity."

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    Gets old, not. I spent four years in Pearl City, Hawaii. House had no AC, no heat and single wall construction (ie exterior wall is the interior wall). Didn't need any. It was fabulous.

Only thing was when I got there I couldn't speak the pidgin. People would stick their head in a meeting and say something and someone would answer, but I had absolutely no clue what had transpired. Everybody else knew exactly what was going down but me. Most of the rem statements in the software was in pidgin. I thought that was hilarious. Took me a year or so, but I got up on the step.

Nobody runs language classes to teach pidgin. Have to learn from the neighbors, in dangerous bars, and in the trenches. Son born in Kapi,olani Hospital. I wrote down the nice things the nurses said and took the list in to work. The secretaries told me the meaning. There is a rich language of tender love in the islands. They cherish all children. I still listen to slack string guitar. It is the bluegrass of the islands.