Noises from connector pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyrat

Dec 23, 2007
Central Indiana
I have a Dutchwest extra large catalytic stove. Last night I heated up the connector pipe to about 600 degrees and started getting a lot of little popping/plinking noises from the pipe. Sounded like little pops and crackling noises. Then it sounded like water was running in the pipe or something. I am guessing that I was burning creosote in the pipe with the little popping noises but the water running sound has me perplexed. I cleaned the pipe about 6 weeks ago and have been burning dry wood except for the last week or so the wood has been about 25% moisture, mixed with lower moisture stuff. I took the pipe off today and there was quite a bit of creosote in the two pipes, 3-4 cups I suppose. I don't burn it slow or overnite for the most part. Can anyone explain the water running sound?

Thanks,

Yes, you are correct. The noise you heard is the layer of creosote burning off. Stay away from the damp wood and keep burning one good hot fire a day and it should stay under control.

I'm speculating, because so far as I know, I've never experienced a chimney fire...but I can imagine a situation where the temp in the chimney climbs to a point where the "popcorn" action starts happening, and then as the temperature climbs further there comes a "whoosh" as the thing lights up inside and burns off. Just a guess. Rick

We used to get this with the morning hot burn on our Jotul 602 with single-wall pipe. It is a unique sound that is hard to describe, but for me it was like paint crackling off the pipe. Lasted for a few minutes and then was gone.

I guess to be more specific it sounded as if water were TRICKLING inside the pipe. Could the creosote been turning to liquid and running down the side of the pipe?
Thanks,

Oh it could, and it does, but I seriously doubt you'd hear it. Maybe it was just the death throes of the popcorn popping. Rick

EDIT: Or a tinkling sort of sound from burnt creosote flakes tumbling down inside the stovepipe, perhaps.

I get the same sound. I think it's just small, fluffy pieces falling down my liner. It makes sense that they would be falling off because of the expansion and contraction of the SS liner. Then again, I listened the other day and I'm wondering if the pieces are small and light enough, could they be getting carried up the pipe if the draft was strong? I couldn't tell if they were coming down or going up.

Status
Not open for further replies.