Noisey Breckwell P2700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qweaver

Dec 22, 2008
WV
Hi everyone,
I replaced a six year old Whitfield with a Breckwell p2700 this fall. I spent a fair amount of time selecting this stove and it seemed like a perfect fit for size and economy. I really like the way this stove looks and heats. It is much better on fuel use than my older and larger Whitfield. It has a wider range of adjustments and we usually run it on the second of its five heat settings. When the outside temp hit 12 deg. I did use the 3rd level and the house was comfy. It starts and runs well on all setting except the lowest setting where it will sometime go out over night. So that's the good news...the bad news is that the stove is very noisy. The side panels and one of the blowers make intermitten vibration noises and they are loud enough to be a real nuisance. I have to turn up the TV in order to hear over it sometimes. There is also an intermittent high pitched squealing noise that comes from down inside the stove that I have not been able to pin-point. The retail price of this stove is $2800 and I paid $2400 on sale. So this is not a cheap stove.
So I contacted the dealer and he said that the problem was an out of balance blower. (the blower sometimes make vibrating noises also) He agreed to send me a new one for me to replace and send him the old one. It never arrived and he never called me back. So I called Breckwell and after many phone conversations with various suggestions of how I should be able to fix the stove(none of which worked) they finally emailed me this:

"We have made every reasonable effort to address your situation. Your situation is easily correctable and does not actually affect the operation of the stove. It is more just a nuisance. One that I understand you would like corrected. Here at the factory all that we can do is make recommendations on how to make that correction. It will be up to you to have your dealer affect the correction, make the correction yourself, or hire someone to make the correction"

So the bottom line is, I can either fix it myself or pay someone to fix a brand new stove. The problem is...the fix is not easy. I am going to have to make major changes in the design of the stove side panels and who knows what on the inside squeal. I am sick of buying new stuff that I then have to work on. So much for their "lifetime warranty"
I should have just left my quite running whitfield in there. It needed a new electric starter but worked perfectly otherwise. If anyone ever asks me if I would recommend a Breckfield stove...it would be a resounding NO.

QL, sorry to hear about your problems. Breckwell has cheapened their stoves in the past few years to save money, and yours is an example of that.

Bottom line, though, is that if you make any modifications to the stove, you will instantly void the warranty.

I understand that you've had issues w/ the dealer, but it doesn't seem you've really made an attempt to contact the dealer again to ask what happened to the replacement blower.

If they give you the run-around and the replacement doesn't show up within a week or so, THEN I would contact Breckwell again and report the dealer as negligent. If that fails to get the issue resolved, you can always contact the Attorney General in your state and file a complaint against Breckwell and the dealer.

I hate to agree w/ Breckwell, but the first place you need to contact (again) is the dealer. BTW, are there any other breckwell dealers in your area?

QL said:
Hi everyone,
I replaced a six year old Whitfield with a Breckwell p2700 this fall. I spent a fair amount of time selecting this stove and it seemed like a perfect fit for size and economy. I really like the way this stove looks and heats. It is much better on fuel use than my older and larger Whitfield. It has a wider range of adjustments and we usually run it on the second of its five heat settings. When the outside temp hit 12 deg. I did use the 3rd level and the house was comfy. It starts and runs well on all setting except the lowest setting where it will sometime go out over night. So that's the good news...the bad news is that the stove is very noisy. The side panels and one of the blowers make intermitten vibration noises and they are loud enough to be a real nuisance. I have to turn up the TV in order to hear over it sometimes. There is also an intermittent high pitched squealing noise that comes from down inside the stove that I have not been able to pin-point. The retail price of this stove is $2800 and I paid $2400 on sale. So this is not a cheap stove.
So I contacted the dealer and he said that the problem was an out of balance blower. (the blower sometimes make vibrating noises also) He agreed to send me a new one for me to replace and send him the old one. It never arrived and he never called me back. So I called Breckwell and after many phone conversations with various suggestions of how I should be able to fix the stove(none of which worked) they finally emailed me this:

"We have made every reasonable effort to address your situation. Your situation is easily correctable and does not actually affect the operation of the stove. It is more just a nuisance. One that I understand you would like corrected. Here at the factory all that we can do is make recommendations on how to make that correction. It will be up to you to have your dealer affect the correction, make the correction yourself, or hire someone to make the correction"

So the bottom line is, I can either fix it myself or pay someone to fix a brand new stove. The problem is...the fix is not easy. I am going to have to make major changes in the design of the stove side panels and who knows what on the inside squeal. I am sick of buying new stuff that I then have to work on. So much for their "lifetime warranty"
I should have just left my quite running whitfield in there. It needed a new electric starter but worked perfectly otherwise. If anyone ever asks me if I would recommend a Breckfield stove...it would be a resounding NO.

The side panels ore held in place by a 7/16 head bolt on the under side of the unit. Loosen it and adjust the side panels. I would say your distribution blower is also bad and has a bad bearing. Contact the dealer.

Eric

Actually, the side panels are held at the bottom/front by a bolt and at the top with a magnet. They are hinged at the rear. I stopped the rattle on the side panels but inserting a thin slice of wood to hold them in tight against the magnets. So replacing the magnet with a bolt will probably fix this. I have not tried to fix the blower noise yet so I'm not sure about that one.
In my early years after college, I designed and fabricated sports racers and formula cars. After that I spent 3 years as a lead hand in a code vessel fabrication shop. I've rebuild engines and transmissions on everything from cars to dozers. I feel very confident that I can diagnose and fix any problems that this stove has...or anything else for that matter.
That's not the point. Why should I? The company that is building these should have the problems worked out before they go on the market.
I'm building a post and beam home in WV using lumber that I've cut and sawed on my own land. We have bought all new fixtures and appliances to go in the home and I am just sick of the poor quality. I'm not buying cheap stuff but the failure rate is awful. I had to compleatly dis-assemble and fix the new washer because of faulty assembly by the factory. The oven had to be fixed under warranty. The bottom seal on the one year old dish washer failed today. The door of the very expensive shower is a poor design and leaks. And now this stove. The worst part is that Breckwell does not feel that they are responsible for the performance of this stove. They claim that it's the dealers problem...and he will only come out if I pay for all labor costs at $80 per hour.
If you ask me to saw you 4/4 lumber and I saw 1" are you going to be willing to pay me. Heck no! But I paid the asking price for a product that has un-acceptable problems.
Am I mad? You bet and I will do everything that I can to keep someone else from buying the same problem product.

I was hoping that some other Breckwell owners would comment on this noise problem. I am seriously considering just selling this stove and getting a better stove that is not noisey. But I thought I was buying a quality stove when I bought this one. So how do I go about selecting a quality stove? Reading the manufacturers info does not work. Breckwell calls this stove "whisper quite" I guess I'll spend a little time trying to quite it down before I give up. It just irks me to have to work on and fix a new product. Especially since Breckwell will not accept any responsibility for the quality of their product.

QL, the lack of Breckwell owners responding may have to do with what I commented on in my post above, 3rd sentence:"I understand that you’ve had issues w/ the dealer, but it doesn’t seem you’ve really made an attempt to contact the dealer again to ask what happened to the replacement blower". You never responded back about that. Your dealer is the person you need to be talking to, and it seems you are unwilling to do so.

If the blower they were supposed to send didn't arrive, why would you assume THEIR going to call YOU? If you don't make them aware that the blower didn't arrive, how can they fix that problem? Could be something as simple as they forgot to send it.

As far as dealing with Breckwell, they should be the LAST place you have to go, and they said as much in their response: "It will be up to you to have your dealer affect the correction, make the correction yourself, or hire someone to make the correction".

Again, the dealer is the first place mentioned.

Hey, I'm in no way sticking-up for Breckwell, as the quality of their products has apparently gone downhill in recent years, OR the dealer. But it seems that after one attempt to have the dealer help fix the issue, you gave up.

Macman, I have contacted my dealer several times with no reply. Breckwell even contacted him and then got back to me saying that the dealer would be be in contact with me shortly. That was 7 days ago. Nothing. So I did go about this in the right way. The warranty is useless if I get no response from the dealer or Breckwell. If I treated my customers this way, I wouldn't have any. I believe that this is a problem for which they have no easy cure and the easy way out is to just ignore me. I think it is important for me to inform as many potential buyers as I can of my experience with this company.

Ok then, you have done things right on your end. I guess the next thing I'd do is contact Breckwell one last time, tell them the dealer hasn't contacted you after THEY told them to, and see what happens.

If nothing, I'd be on the phone to the state Attorney General's office to file a complaint against the dealer. A call to the Better Business Bureau might not be a bad thing either.

I don't know how far you are from the dealer, but if you have time, can you physically go there and talk to them face to face? (and bring the blower w/ you and maybe you can get it that way) I know it's a PIA, but was just a thought.

Any other Breckwell dealers nearby?

OK, I called the dealer again and his story is that he thought Breckwell was taking care of the problem. The last contact that I had with Breckwell was that "the dealer will call you soon" He claims that he will mail out the blower today. That's what he said a month ago. We'll see. This is redicules. I didn't design, build, sell and make a profit on the stove...they did. I understand that the dealer and Breckwell may lose money fixing this stove, but it is, or should be, their responsibility...not mine.

Well, hope the blower shows up and it fixes the problem.

And don't worry about Breckwell and the dealer. Breckwell made their $ when the dealer bought the stove from them. The dealer won't lose any money since they will get reimbursed by Breckwell for warranty parts.

Hope it all works out in the end...keep us posted.

have a breckwell p2700 4 years old whisper quiet .no problems .call breckwell they will help .great stove heats great better fit and quality then new englander no gaskets replacement in 4 years only one igniter run off tsat 24 /7 .my second stove is a new englander summerheat . just a cheap stove. no ash pan no on off with tsat noisy ugly looking heats good .just order a breckwell big easy for my pole barn.new englander was cheap bought at lowes half price .

kinglew said:
have a breckwell p2700 4 years old whisper quiet .no problems .call breckwell they will help......
He has called Breckwell more than once, and they keep saying the dealer is responsible.

Yes, your Breckwell is fine because it was made before they started cutting corners and using poorer quality materials the past couple years to save $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.