Noisy Fan PE Pacific Insert .. need cover removal help 1/1/11

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Sounds like something is rubbing together while the motor is running. And it's intermittent. I can turn it off, let it rest, and it might run fine, might run noisy. It might run for 3 days, it might not :mad:

The surround is hot enough where I'm not touching it, but it appears that *cough* HOUSEKEEPING has been remiss in their duties >:-( Their quick swipe with the vacuum is coming back to haunt them.

It's going up to 45F here Saturday. I can let the stove cool down in the AM & try to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. How to take the surround off in front of the fan? Should I bother, or try for another fan (which ain't gonna happen by New Years, this Dix knows ) ?

Order a new back up fan motor, replace at your leisure, then clean up the old one and keep that as back up.

You're so schmart, Hogs :)

Before Hearth.com

I killed a fan on my first insert in 2 seasons.....was mounted on the back of the insert and I was told it NEVER needed to be cleaned....I was also told it was mounted on the side of the insert....I believed them thinking they knew what they were talking about...

After Heath.com

I replaced that insert, it was also too small for our heating needs.....and I only looked at inserts that had the fans right up front and were easy to get to to clean....

My fans now get cleaned on a regular basis. I got a small compressor that does wonders in cleaning off the fins in a jiffy. Cost less than 50.00 if I remember correctly....and is now a MUST in my heart tool collection.

Good luck with yours. You are lucky it didn't stop all together as mine did....

The fans is on the sideo, easy to get to.

Even better, 5 year warranty on the blower. Off to make a phone call.

Check to see if this is dust and animal fur build up on the blower. Vacuum out the fan blower motor and the fins well. Then wipe each blade with a damp rag.

I plan to let it cool down Saturday and clean it up. The dealer is closed for the holidays, anyways.

How do you remove the cover?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
I plan to let it cool down Saturday and clean it up. The dealer is closed for the holidays, anyways.

First you tie a rope around the Divine Ms. M's saddle horn then...

BrotherBart said:

If I could get a saddle on the Divine Ms. M, I might consider it. *thwap* :)

Fans running fine now :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:

If I could get a saddle on the Divine Ms. M, I might consider it. *thwap* :)

Fans running fine now :coolgrin:

Remind me to tell ya how they saddle break horses in South Texas and Louisiana sometime.

At the top of the fan cover is a small screw (square drive) that needs removed. Then lift cover up and away from stove. Check to see if fan is running true. Mine were bad from the start and made a horrible racket. It took a month but finally were replaced.

Well damn, I paid for mine, forgot about the warranty.
Lemme know how that happens, I still have the old fan.

bsa0021 said:

At the top of the fan cover is a small screw (square drive) that needs removed. Then lift cover up and away from stove. Check to see if fan is running true. Mine were bad from the start and made a horrible racket. It took a month but finally were replaced.

Found the screw, makes sense... thank you so much, BSA !! *house keeping has def been remiss here*

Hogwildz said:

Well damn, I paid for mine, forgot about the warranty.
Lemme know how that happens, I still have the old fan.

Done.

Hmm. It seems I can't "lift" the cover off. The ash lip is in the way, it seems.

3 screws came out. Top left, and both lower sides.

Any assistance appreciated, I've got all day :)

First you saddle The Dixie Eyed Hustle, then you get a rope and...

If I just pull it, what happens to the fan controls at the bottom of the panel?

Just loosen the two bolts under the ash pan. Then lift the ash pan off. Then remove the side panel. The controls are connected but can be cut and connected later. Just make sure you document which wire goes where. Some masking tape for marking or a digital camera picture does the trick.

Thanks, Sisu. I found them. Just waiting for the Dixette to get off of the roof. She's cleaning her chimney :smirk:

Battery died in the drill. Tomorrow we take the ash lip off and clean the fan.

I'm glad I selected an insert with an extended front. I have a box fan blowing across the front of the insert, and it's blowing the warm air out the doorway into the rest of the upper floor.

With the NC 13 working fine now, we'll be more than OK tonight.

I'm also glad it's not 0F outside :smirk:

While cleaning the fan, be sure that the shaft set screw is tight. If there are oil ports on the motor ends, put about 10 drops of light oil (like 3in1) in each one.

BeGreen said:
While cleaning the fan, be sure that the shaft set screw is tight. If there are oil ports on the motor ends, put about 10 drops of light oil (like 3in1) in each one.

Okey doke.

Thanks, BG.

Status
Not open for further replies.