Non-Cat Stoves & Scrap Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
With my new home addition, I'm going to have a goodly amount of scrap lumbar drops and some painted scrap wood from the original structure.

Back in the old days, we'd just burn that stuff in the woodstove without a second thought. I wouldn't dare use this stuff with my cat stove, but what about the non-cat stove? Any reason I can't use this stuff in the Englander 30 - it has secondary burn tubes.

Thanks,
Bill

I don't think painted wood will hurt the the stove, unless you overfire it. I still wouldn't burn painted wood because of the pollutants it will put into the air. There's not much point in burning a clean burning EPA stove if you burn wood with contaminates on it.

Do you know that there's no salts or fungicides in the scrap? At fire operating temperatures, these can apparently be corrosive. I don't think they'll chew through your fireplace before your eyes, but I've cut that sort of wood out of my stove's diet.

We burned a lot of cut-offs in our stove this spring but I did not put anything painted nor treated in the stove. It works good for just taking off the chill with a small fire.

My old stove, (non cat) I burned lots of scrap wood. No painted or treated wood though.
Just seem logical to not risk contaminating the stove or polluting the air with unknown chemicals.
Just burn dry plain wood scraps & pieces, & black & white newspapers & you'll be fine.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
I don't think painted wood will hurt the the stove, unless you overfire it. I still wouldn't burn painted wood because of the pollutants it will put into the air. There's not much point in burning a clean burning EPA stove if you burn wood with contaminates on it.

+1 . . . only unpainted wood scraps go into my woodstove . . . and no particle board, plywood, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.