nOOb here please help with ideas (have stove need help with install)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotust

Dec 3, 2007
ny
Hi guys im a carpenter by trade. I want to install this lange stove that I got from my grandpa (passed away few years back) I have a unheated single story portch attached to my 2 story home. I would love to get this baby up and running. I priced some 2 wall stainless at the local "wood box" store. They quote me 1600$ for the 20ft straight run up threw the portch pitched roof up past the 2nd floor. My portch is only 8 feet deep. But Im thinking about going out one of the porth windows and then out 2-3 feet and then up the distance for code. This would be visable to all my neighbors (im on a corner lot)

here are some pics.

12-2-07LLANGEstovefromgrandpa009.jpg

12-2-07LLANGEstovefromgrandpa017.jpg

12-2-07LLANGEstovefromgrandpa015.jpg

the portch and house (old pic)

11-07-200658FuocoRdOurHouse009.jpg

11-07-200658FuocoRdOurHouse010.jpg

I just found the specks of this unit. This is a great fourm BTW.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Lange_Stoves/

No, a window installation will not do, especially for a carpenter! Also, making the 90 degree upward turn will ruin your draft somewhat.

I have a similar situation, and the only thing I can do is go straight up, and then pass the other roofline (which you must do if within 10 feet of it!).

Anything else will give you draft and smoke trouble.....for certain!

$1600 for 20 feet of pipe!!!!

Either the price has sky-rocketed for that stuff or they charge too much.

If you are DIY or tradesman (as you mention), you can prob pick the pipe lengths up at either Lowes or a local plumbing and heating supply for a substantial discount. Would still cost you about $1,000, but doing it the wrong way will cost even more (in time and aggravation).

Webmaster said:
If you are DIY or tradesman (as you mention), you can prob pick the pipe lengths up at either Lowes or a local plumbing and heating supply for a substantial discount. Would still cost you about $1,000, but doing it the wrong way will cost even more (in time and aggravation).

Thanks I just found some Class A stainless insulated 6"X36 pipe for 66$ each. Plus I will need the roof kit. Your right im looking at 1000$ max. I also have a small crack in the top of the casting/top plate Im having a certifyed weilder fix it for me. It looks to be from my granfather overtightening the bolts that hold the top over on. I feel that it will be safe beacuase the crack cant spread anymore than it allready has. What do you guys think?

thanks for all your help!

12-2-07LLANGEstovefromgrandpa012.gif

I hate to be a wet blanket, but this seems like a bad plan to me. It's a lovely old stove, but a crack right by the flue is not a good sign. In addition, putting a 20' stainless stack tacked to the side of that old farmhouse is going to look wrong, completely out of character. An out of the window pipe might have been ok in the 1930's in the hills of West VA, but not now. If the ultimate goal is wood heat, better to do it right. Is there a fireplace or location in the house where a stove or insert can be located? An interior flue or chimney is going to behave better. A centrally located stove will heat the whole house, not just the porch.

BeGreen said:
I hate to be a wet blanket, but this seems like a bad plan to me. It's a lovely old stove, but a crack right by the flue is not a good sign. In addition, putting a 20' stainless stack tacked to the side of that old farmhouse is going to look wrong, completely out of character. An out of the window pipe might have been ok in the 1930's in the hills of West VA, but not now. If the ultimate goal is wood heat, better to do it right. Is there a fireplace or location in the house where a stove or insert can be located? An interior flue or chimney is going to behave better. A centrally located stove will heat the whole house, not just the porch.

If its weilded properly do you think it would spread? If so where will It spread to? Im sure there are stoves and other items made of cast that are weilded. Im ditching the window idea. I have only one chimney in the house and its got the oil furnace hooked up to it. I would hate to see this stove get tossed outside to rust out. I dont want to just store it as well. I dont mind the pipe going up the front of the house . There is really no place to put the pipe but on the portch. I wish the porth was 10 feet long :-(

I honestly don't see why a certified welder couldn't repair that. Before sinking money into it, theres some things to consider though:
Have you inspected the insides good to make sure its operational, safe & not been overfired too many timers is any at all?
You must realize with the size of that stove, its not going to put tons of heat out. If on the porch, how often will you realistically use it?
The cost of repair and Class A is not something to just throw towards a stove thats going to be used once or twice a year. Myself, I'd rather put a serious wood burner inside my home and spend the liner cost on that. Then your cutting your heating costs down and can enjoy the fires more often if not 24/7.
In the end its up to you. We all have our opinions, but its what you real y want/ need that will be the deciding factor.
Alot of cash going to be spent for an occasional burner.

Run the pipe up the interior of the house. It will give you the best operation and heat return. That's the way many of us have our stoves installed. You can build a box chase to protect the pipe on the second floor.

I don't think that can be welded without destroying the porcelain enamel in the area, but maybe I'm wrong. Like Hog said though, you need to know the condition of the rest of the stove, especially the interior plates, before committing bucks to it. Otherwise, it would be a lot better to start with a new stove.

PS: Are the sides off the stove too?

I think wood heat is great but in this case I would recommend getting a newer high efficiency stove. How efficient / inefficient do you think that stove is? Being as old as it is it would probably eat a lot of wood which is going to cost you more in the long run. I would stick a flower pot in the big opening and put the stove in the corner of your porch and use it as a family heirloom / conversation piece as you tell your story about how all your buddies on Hearth.com helped you pick out and install your new X high efficiency stove in the house.... but that's just me!

I just lost the replys I typed to everyone somehow :-/

The rest of the stove is in great shape. Im ded set of having it in the portch. I dont mind shelling out 1000$ to keep this thing alive. Im not worred about the finish getting burnt from weilding it. There are other chips and scratches on it from the years. I think its a pretty efficent design from the reasearch I did on it. Its got some baffles in it for efficency. Im not worried about wasting wood. I work for the local parks dept and get to collect any fallen or downed tree I want on parks land. Im kinda luckey. yes the side were removed when I saw the furnace cement falling out. Im going to reseal it up when it gets weilded.

Thanks for all your help guys and gals. I need to resurect thing. I will take on step at a time and get my friend to weild it.

Webmaster said:
Sooner or later you might even get lucky and be able to buy a stove for parts....and completely restore it.

BTW, just for fun, you should check with Woodmans Associates - you never know, they may have a new top sitting around the warehouse.

I will look into them. Thanks allot :) Is there a website or something? I just googled "Woodmans Associates" and came up with an insurance company and some other stuff.

thanks

edit: I think this is it http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com

BeGreen said:
Run the pipe up the interior of the house. It will give you the best operation and heat return. That's the way many of us have our stoves installed. You can build a box chase to protect the pipe on the second floor.

I don't think that can be welded without destroying the porcelain enamel in the area, but maybe I'm wrong. Like Hog said though, you need to know the condition of the rest of the stove, especially the interior plates, before committing bucks to it. Otherwise, it would be a lot better to start with a new stove.

PS: Are the sides off the stove too?

I believe his porch where he intends to put it is entirely outside the wall of the house. Going up into the second story is not gonna work unless he 90's through the wall and builds a chase from 1st floor up. Too much work and cash for a porch heater IMO.

So this should be installed as an unlisted stove with full 36" to any combustibles? The porch didn't look that large. Seems like a hard and expensive way to heat a small area.

There is one thing you can do, as kind of a compromise.
Install some type of electric heating element inside the stove, and run it as an ornament. That way, you can have it as close to the walls as you want, and you won't have the chimney sticking out of the porch.
You can even put the stove pipe on, just have it end @ the wall.
You'll have to experiment to see what would work the best, I was thinking an element from an old hot plate or electric heater.

Use a switch like this to control max temp. for safety:
http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/pdfs/06_Cat_pages/Cat_06_pg0090.pdf

Try the element in the stove outside first, just to make sure it isn't going to be a fire hazard.
Building one of those would be a fun project, and once finished you could put it in any room in the house. You wouldn't have to do any welding on it either.

It would end up being a variation of these:
http://www1.dimplex.com/listproducts.aspx?id=73&bid=DIM

Status
Not open for further replies.