Nor'easter watch thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Badfish, So sorry to hear about your daughter. That had to be a tough day for her, and you. I wish that I could offer you words that would make a difference, but I know they don't exist. So I will pray for your daughter and you. Keep us posted so we can do our part on this end. God Bless you and your family, Steve

Sorry to hear about your child. I pray for strength for you and your family during this time. And for complete healing of your daughter.

tfdchief said:
Badfish, So sorry to hear about your daughter. That had to be a tough day for her, and you. I wish that I could offer you words that would make a difference, but I know they don't exist. So I will pray for your daughter and you. Keep us posted so we can do our part on this end. God Bless you and your family, Steve

JimboM said:
Sorry to hear about your child. I pray for strength for you and your family during this time. And for complete healing of your daughter.

Thanks. Thoughts and prayers from the hearth.com family are gladly accepted. It was tougher on us than it was on her-she is only five weeks old. She need an IV so that they could inject some dye into her system for a CT scan-the IV was the hardest thing I've ever had to watch-she was a brave little trooper though and didn't even flinch. The nurses say that studies have shown that sucking on a pacifier (in newborns at least) is a powerful analgesic. I thank God everyday that the only memory she will ever have of this ordeal is a scar on her chest. A hospital can be a scary place for a child, but I have to say that the folks at CHOP are the best though and it's a wonderful place. A full recovery is expected-young lungs heal very well and she will grow up to have the lung function of a normal child, but the surgery of course carries risk (as does any surgery-especially when the heart and lungs are involved) which is terrifying to my wife and I, but leaving the lesion in her lung is not an option. Anyway, I've sort of hijacked my own thread :lol: but I appreciate your words and just felt like venting after such an ordeal. Now that the lights are back on we can focus on the really important stuff.

I guess that puts the inconvenience of snow and power failure into perspective. Best wishes.

There was a crew from Long Island at my street for a little while. We were hopefu for power restoration and then they left. :sick:

Flatbedford said:
I guess that puts the inconvenience of snow and power failure into perspective. Best wishes.

There was a crew from Long Island at my street for a little while. We were hopefu for power restoration and then they left. :sick:

Keep the faith Flatbed. A lot of this is guess work-they have to energize an area first to find out where the faults are further down the line. Thanks for your thoughts.

CHOP is supposed to be the best Badfish....my cousin had a baby around the time you guys did and had to take the baby there because of some problems.
You and your family are in my thoughts....best wishes, hope everything goes well...I am sure it will... :)

Badfish740 said:
POWER IS BACK!!! We had an awful day in Philadelphia yesterday but came home to the nice surprise of the lights being on. As some of you know my daughter has a lung condition and we met with a surgeon at Children's Hospital yesterday for a consult-she will need the right lower lobe of her lung completely removed and possible a portion of the left lower lobe as well. We had to leave the house at 5:00 to be in Philly by 7:00 for some tests so my dad had to come up to the house to run the generator while we were gone. It was going to be a tough day on its own, but having to be there so early, have our little girl poked and prodded, and then have to talk about opening her up and taking a piece out of her lung on little sleep and no hot shower since Saturday was terrible. People in Philly were shocked by what was going on just two hours to the north-they had assumed that it was just a simple snowstorm that had created some mayhem for a day and then melted. We are definitely the lucky ones though-half of our town is still out. My wife tried to go to her mother's house today just so grandma could spend a little time with the baby and literally couldn't get there. She tried three different routes (my in-laws live in Sussex County, NJ, about an hour north)-all were blocked by downed trees or crews working to clear trees/wires. Hopefully this will be all resolved by the end of the week.

Badfish740, I don't see the inside of the church much but will say a prayer and have the wife light a candle at church for your daughter.

Mike

Badfish740 said:
tfdchief said:

JimboM said:

Thanks. Thoughts and prayers from the hearth.com family are gladly accepted. It was tougher on us than it was on her-she is only five weeks old. She need an IV so that they could inject some dye into her system for a CT scan-the IV was the hardest thing I've ever had to watch-she was a brave little trooper though and didn't even flinch. The nurses say that studies have shown that sucking on a pacifier (in newborns at least) is a powerful analgesic. I thank God everyday that the only memory she will ever have of this ordeal is a scar on her chest. A hospital can be a scary place for a child, but I have to say that the folks at CHOP are the best though and it's a wonderful place. A full recovery is expected-young lungs heal very well and she will grow up to have the lung function of a normal child, but the surgery of course carries risk (as does any surgery-especially when the heart and lungs are involved) which is terrifying to my wife and I, but leaving the lesion in her lung is not an option. Anyway, I've sort of hijacked my own thread :lol: but I appreciate your words and just felt like venting after such an ordeal. Now that the lights are back on we can focus on the really important stuff.

hang in there badfish....folsk at Childrens can work miracles. My son was born with a hole in his diaphram...heart in the wrong place, intestines in his chest area, etc... Wife and I lived at the nicu for 3 weeks while he was there.....poked and prodded like you couldn't imagine.....didn't get to hold him until about he was 2 weeks old....was a rough time but you just gotta keep the faith....btw...he is a healthy 4 year old now....sometimes we call him "nemo" as his left lung is about 50% normal size...but he is a little trooper.....after the whole ordeal, I had a new respect for nurses and all those that work in childrens pediatrics.....just take it day by day and we are praying for you

Nothing tugs harder at the heart than when your child is not well. I hope she is soon on the road to recovery badfish and this becomes a distant memory.

My thoughts are with you badfish. Wife and i lived at the pedi icu on several occasions for several open heart surgeries for our daughter. Aint easy just doesnt sum it up. Keep the faith. Praying for a speedy recovery for your daughter. Shes in good hands at chop.

Sending good wishes and prayers your way Badfish.

All of this good hearth.com energy coming our way sure feels nice. Thanks all-unfortunately due to scheduling (as you can imagine there is a lot of demand for pediatric surgeons with such a skillset) Lil Badfish might have to spend Christmas in the hospital recovering (the surgery is scheduled for December 21st unless something earlier opens up) but as far as we're concerned, having this thing out and not having to worry about it anymore will be the best Christmas gift ever, even if its not the way we planned to spend her first Christmas. I will keep you all posted.

Missing this Christmas will be OK. There will be many more.

Status
Not open for further replies.