North East Free wood coming!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Wolf

Minister of Fire
Jun 13, 2008
Eastern CT
Irene's coming up for a visit. I'm gassing up the saws and sharpening the chains. I figure this will be a good scrounging opportunity.

A friend called Harbor Freight and there's not a generator to be had

Outside of that, I'm laying in gas for the generators, (1) 7500 watt, (1) 900 watt 2 stroke inverter, charging batteries, (3) deep discharge from camping and such and digging out the inverter (700 watt) for the wife's sleep machine.

Gas for the grill and beer in the cooler.
Sit back and watch the show.

At least I don't have to worry about keeping the house warm!!

Greg H

Greg H said:
Irene's coming up for a visit. I'm gassing up the saws and sharpening the chains. I figure this will be a good scrounging opportunity.

A friend called Harbor Freight and there's not a generator to be had

Outside of that, I'm laying in gas for the generators, (1) 7500 watt, (1) 900 watt 2 stroke inverter, charging batteries, (3) deep discharge from camping and such and digging out the inverter (700 watt) for the wife's sleep machine.

Gas for the grill and beer in the cooler.
Sit back and watch the show.

At least I don't have to worry about keeping the house warm!!

Greg H

I don't get how people get so excited about getting free wood at a time like this. Yes, helping to clean up after the storm, but to sit back, drink beer and watch the "show" ................. I hope you don't watch it through a hole in "your" roof.

That was meant to be at least 50% tounge in cheek, I obviosly don't want to deal with any damage, mine or a neighbors.
I've been there these several time before. Mostly it's do what you can to be prepared (seems to be a common thread here) then hunker down and wait it out.

Afterwards its a community effort cleaning up. During Gloria ('85) I was one of the few guys in the south end of Hartford with a working chainsaw. Went up and down the street cutting stuff up.

As for scrounging I've still got 4 cords of my own to split, but if I can pick up some more, it puts me thst much farther ahead for next year or the year after.

Yes it can be a disaster but it is also good if someone can make use of the wood rather than it all going to waste.

This is like a large snow storm. We needed a gallon of milk for the kids and my wife said there was hardly any of it on the shelves. Same goes for the toilet paper. This stuff is insane.

About the only thing my wife and I have to worry about is the roof coming off the house and the electricity going out. We don't have any trees near the house. In fact, we only have 3 or 4 trees on our 2 acre lot. The electrical lines in the neighborhood are buried in the ground, but there is still the possibility of something larger going wrong with the system. If something does happen, I can go over my parents' and borrow their generator as long as they don't also lose electricity.

I also got 10 gallons of gas and the chainsaws are almost always ready for some cutting. I maintain my stuff so that everything is ready to go at a moments notice. I too figure that there will be some good wood out of this mess, but I didn't envision it being from trees that fell on anybody's house. One of my clients had 3 locusts fall in a thunderstorm, and I still have to cut them up and then split them. I might have more work on my hands then I have time for.

Yup. Hoping for some free wood, just don't want to be cutting it in my attic!

Flatbedford said:
Yup. Hoping for some free wood, just don't want to be cutting it in my attic!

Look at it on the bright side. At least it wouldn't be in your kitchen. I am so happy that we don't have any trees by our house. that kind of stuff scares the heck out of me. A neighbor of my parents was out in his car over last winter during a snow storm because they had lost power from falling trees. Well, a monster of a tree fell on the engine bay of his car. It smashed the car to smithereens, but he lived. I have seen some monsters come down in my parents' neighborhood. One was across some power lines and it was easily 40" wide. This past January a huge pine came down across their road and I couldn't even get to their house without going the back way. Thing is, their neighborhood way built in the 60's and it has park land running through it. They have a lot of very old trees in their neighborhood. Once the maple by our house gets close to being tall enough to hit the house, I am taking it down and replacing it with a smaller maple. My parents have two monster trees in their yard. One is an oak for sure since it drops acorns that the deer love, and the other might be a maple. I think I remember the little helicopters during the spring during the 15 years I lived there, but I am not completely sure they came from the monstrosity in the front yard.

Makes me want to drive east for the next couple months!

I'd be battening down the hatches, make sure I had a well stocked larder, and check on the neighbours.

No doubt I'd make sure there was petrol in the chainsaw too...... ;-)

I'm wishing that I had dropped those trees near the house that I have been meaning to get to!

fabsroman said:
This is like a large snow storm. We needed a gallon of milk for the kids and my wife said there was hardly any of it on the shelves. Same goes for the toilet paper. This stuff is insane.

People are filling their shopping carts with perishables, that will uh... perish with no electricity. PBJ, cold cuts, and plenty of stuff in on the mudroom shelves. All sorts of ice is made to put in a cooler to keep some food. We will probably be eating all the food in the freezer that will go bad. Plenty of charcoal for the grill monday if needed.

The bad thing is that the trees are full of leaves, which makes them come down easier.

Cascade Failure said:
As much as I like an easy, short travel scrounge, I really don't want to find it in my bedroom.

No doubt....no such thing as FREE....especially in this case. The wood we're going to be scrounging on Monday will cost some folks PLENTY! Be safe, all. I'll be praying for everyone.

fishingpol said:
People are filling their shopping carts with perishables, that will uh... perish with no electricity.

Bet rentals of generators have risen a bit.... they always do well here in bad weather.

Always amazes me how people panic buy toilet tissue when the weather forecast is bad, it happens over here too, never understood why.

It's something extra to try to keep dry............ ;-)

Got some already and we dont even have a gentle breeze yet :)

296740_2296623744718_1522838115_32513556_4242496_n.jpg

10 ft from my driveway... hard to beat that.

Irene has been downgraded a bit. When it hits the colder New England waters, it will be a Tropical storm. One tv station said it may be even lessend to a bad nor'easter.

They can call it whatever they want ---- but Wind + Rain = Danger

wood-fan-atic said:
They can call it whatever they want ---- but Wind + Rain = Danger

Yes! still lots of rain to soften the soil and some trees and branches will be down.

I have now finished what I wanted to do prior to the storm. Just in time as the Philly area that is 1 hr south by car is getting the front end of this thing. Caulked the doors, replaced some exterior outlet covers that leaked and dug up a masonry slab that was under a garden next to the house, containing the water pump, that has leaked bad for a while now during hard rain. 4 tarps on that and covered it back up with the foot or so of top soil. Back is not liking that task. Thunder is rolling outside now. Here she comes.

Oh well, nothing to do now but head to the parents for dinner. Taking the pup with us and celebrating a mid-life crisis birthday. Be well all.

Status
Not open for further replies.