northstar owners ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyokc

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Oklahoma
I bought a Rutland magnetic temperature gauge. What kind of temps do you guys see on the frame of the door ? My gauge is at the top left corner of the right door. Thanks guys

I never put mine on the door so I don't know, I installed mine on the flue exit pipe behind the upper vent. Easy to do, but you need to remove the 4 screw's holding the faceplate onto the unit. You can still read it easily and it doesn't get in the way or detract from the look. You could also put it on top of the stove flat right behind the vent, I've been thinking of moving mine there.

On the chimney pipe I usually run mine up to 450-600 (take about 15-20 minutes) and then close down the air to about 1/4. WIth that I'll get secondaries for 1-4 hours depending. The stove will slowly cool down to 200 over an 8 hour time span.

73blazer said:
I never put mine on the door so I don't know, I installed mine on the flue exit pipe behind the upper vent. Easy to do, but you need to remove the 4 screw's holding the faceplate onto the unit. You can still read it easily and it doesn't get in the way or detract from the look. You could also put it on top of the stove flat right behind the vent, I've been thinking of moving mine there.

On the chimney pipe I usually run mine up to 450-600 (take about 15-20 minutes) and then close down the air to about 1/4. WIth that I'll get secondaries for 1-4 hours depending. The stove will slowly cool down to 200 over an 8 hour time span.
I though about putting one there what temp gauge do you have.

73blazer, It looks like the upper vent is split into an upper part and a lower part. What part of the upper vent are you talking about ? Thanks again for your help.

Your right, there's a piece of sheet metal in there. Mine is in the lower part very close to the base of the chimney, well, about as close as it can be.

ok, I've got mine up to 350 on the door. I'll try your location. I called Heatnglow, and the guy said if the secondary tubes were cherry red it was too hot. They would not give me any temperature range at all. I just don't want to overfire it. I think I need to go hotter. My glass soots up pretty much every fire.

huskyokc said:
ok, I've got mine up to 350 on the door. I'll try your location. I called Heatnglow, and the guy said if the secondary tubes were cherry red it was too hot. They would not give me any temperature range at all. I just don't want to overfire it. I think I need to go hotter. My glass soots up pretty much every fire.
You wood probally not seasoned as much as you think it is

350 on the door frame is nothing. I think I had our showroom display over 500 on the door frame. That door frame is basically direct firebox contact

+1 to wood is prob not dry enough

I had put it right in middle center area.

I bought another Rutland temp gauge. I placed it on the lower part of the chimney pipe just where 73blazer has his. I'll let you know.

yep you guys were right. I went over to my dads and picked up some more seasoned wood, and the stove heats a lot better. I hit about 575 to 600 degrees. The temp gauge on the stove pipe is the only way to go. It seems a lot more receptive to whats going on with the fire versus the temp gauge I have on the door.

Dead center door top, sittin at 450 right now, may hit 550 later as it burns down but usually around 400 avg. on an 8 hour burn

I have mine upper left corner of right door, I shoot for a consistent 500. At 600 it really pumps the heat out.

Status
Not open for further replies.