Not a bad score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
However I have no clue how I'm going to split some of these, some are over three feet across..

Attachments

• Photo Library - 0014.jpg
    Photo Library - 0014.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 389
  • Photo Library - 0018.jpg
    Photo Library - 0018.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 370
They'll split. Sometimes the big ones split so easy that they split under their own weight being dropped from the truck etc. It's the smaller ones with all the knots and crotches that can split hard.

Those big rounds don't look to long. So, they should be easier to split

KC

Yeah, some are only 6 to 8 inches thick.. , they will be easy.. the others wrecked my truck.. Dropping them in the bed was not a good idea..hehe.. I think some weighed in at 3 to 4 hundred pounds..

Nice! On the large tough to split rounds I start at the edges and just chip away to the middle.

Did some Red Oak rounds (2-3 face cords) up to 30" across last saturday with the fiskars only. Working chips off the outsides worked well on that. Most of the heartwood had knots & that was a pain though. My rounds were all about 16" thick, & my shoulder can still feel it. I kinda like working with big rounds for some strange reason, I guess it feels like a challange.

For some odd reason people tend to think that the bigger the round the harder it is to split. That is definitely not true. Read quads post. He knows what he is talking about. I fully agree with him that a large round many times splits easier than a small round. Heck, those short things probably can be split easily with just an ordinary axe.

Just start hacking away. If you want to split it in half, then hit the far side with the first blow, then the middle with the second blow and closer to you with the third blow if that is necessary at all.

The thing is, don't judge how it will split or think that it will split hard just because it is big. Personally, I prefer splitting those big ones over the small ones.

I prefer splitting big rounds to small ones. I get a lot more pieces from a large one, I like the rectangular inner splits for some reason and large rounds give a lot of those, and I don't get many big rounds, so it is a nice change.

That looks a lot like the pile in my back yard. It was a maple we liked a lot. We will like burning it too though. Looks like the tree guys were not even able to get through some of the big rounds of mine, at least yours are all free. There's a good woodturner who comes through town a couple times a year. I want to see if he will take a round and make something for us from the old tree.

The wood looks like some big Norway Maple rounds, and at least one longer piece of Scotch Pine. shoud all be seasoned by next year. Those big maple rounds could be a hassle. Some appear to have been crotch or Y pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.