1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Not a minute too soon!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ScotO, Sep 2, 2012.

1. sebois

sebois Member

Loc:
    Maine
    We grew up putting 8 cords away every winter - we had three Fishers and a huge restored Clarion cookstove. I remember the house being very, very warm.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Senatormofo

Senatormofo Member

Loc:
    Cockeysville, Maryland
    Nice job Scotty! By next year, you'll probably be six years ahead! You have to be proud of that stack!
    ScotO likes this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Thanks, Mofo ....the sad thing is, it's kinda grown on me. I have a lot of blood, sweat and tears in that stack. I'm not sure I wanna burn it, now! ;)
    DexterDay likes this.
  4. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Now that's funny! Reminds me of when my neighbor, a young kid, wanted to have a fire in his fire place (he had just purchased the house) and ask if I would sell him some fire wood? He looked at all my stacks and figured I had enough for about 50 years;lol. I said NO, I don't sell any, I can hardly even get myself to burn it. I told him I would give him some but no way was I going to sell any.
  5. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    It is funny to others that we take notice of wood stacks and the different types of wood in the piles. How you will keep pretty wood that stacks up well and burn uglies and cut off pieces quickly. I hate getting down to where I have to burn some of my nice stuff...yes I know I am an odd one...:)
  6. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Naaah....I'M THE SAME WAY!
    Shadow&Flame likes this.
  7. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Awesome stack of wood!

I've been keeping an eye out for rubber roofing, I hope to locate some sooner or later.
    ScotO likes this.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

check your local roofers, they may have some scraps. You can always glue pieces together. Also, like Lee did, check local trucking companies for those big tarps they use on those dump trucks. They'd make a decent cover too! I know a guy who gets used billboard material, that chit is strong as well.
  9. sebois

sebois Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Same here! My dad used to call the uglies "dogs"; they got left on the tops of the piles ('cause putting them inside the pile makes it less stable) and were always burned first.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    And we put some on the top just to hold down the covering.
  11. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Well, we just had a HELL of a storm roll through here, dumped at least 1 or 2 inches of rain locally, wind whipping around like crazy (all four sides of the house were soaked, thank God I closed the windows before I went out this evening!)......and my rubber roof covers on the woodpile didn't move a bit! Wood is as dry as a bone underneath, too! I'm glad I got this years' wood covered up when I did!
    chvymn99 likes this.
  12. chvymn99

chvymn99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kansas
    Yea, been looking on Craigslist myself for that too. But until then I'm using some bags from work that we got this summer that had material in them. I cutt the bottom out and cut it in half to lay out. Much cheaper than a tarp, but just as effective.
    ScotO likes this.