Not another installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
I have an install question. I have been reading up as much as I can and you guys have been a big help. Just trying to understand the process of installing a metal chimney so I understand what the installers need to do. Seems it's not rocket science, but it is kind of important to do it right. I believe my install will go straight up through the roof. Pretty straight forward. My question is the room it is going into is on the back of my house and was added on after the house was originally built. The house is a ranch style house with an attic. The room that was added on the back has no attic and a lot less of a roof pitch. The ceiling in the room has two by six trusses with insulation in between covered by sheeting covered by tar paper covered by shingles. What is the name of the device that gets the triple A pipe through the ceiling. Also since the pitch is different on this room than the rest of the house should the installers still be able to use the old rule three feet above where the pipe penetrates the roof and two feet higher than anything within 10 feet of it. I'm just trying to be on the same page as the installers. Thank you.

Second question first, the 3-2-10 rule to which you referred is applicable regardless of the pitch of the roof. First question, regardless of the specific brand of chimney components going into your installation, a wealth of useful information, including terminology of the trade can be gleaned by perusing one of the manufacturer's online installation manuals. You might try Selkirk or Simpson just to get an idea. Or find out from your installers what brand they're gonna use, and read up on that one. Rick

The installers are going to use Metalbestos chimney systems. Not sure if they need to use the finish ceiling support, fire stop joist shield, or both, but definatly not an attic insulation shield. What ever they use I believe it needs to be framed in to the joist. Just trying to figure it all out so they don't leave me with a botched up installation. I trust their work but, I've read some bad installation posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.