Nothing in nature that is blue burns...but it was inthese pellets. Guess who makes them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smwilliamson

The Stove Guy
Hearth Supporter
That's right! INFERNO! Look for the blue, I'm guessing that it is the ink you find at the bottom of a 2x4 or on the back of the plywood.
2010-08-12%2010.22.04.jpg

You see that once in a while with alot of pellets. If it is just occasionally, then I think you'll be ok. If it is all the time, worry. I have never made pellets, but tried my hand at a paper mill for a year: the bits of things that get caught up in the machine a rolled into the finished product can be quite puzzling to look at. We made tissue and toilet paper at my plant, and you'd see bits of plastic or felt from the machine in the 18' wide sheets coming out at 300 ft a minute sometimes. We weren't allowed to smoke at the mill (for obvious reasons: tissue paper and hot cig butts didn't mix) but guys would dip, and spit into the reclaimer. You would see bts of the dip in the paper if you looked for it an hour later.

j-takeman said:
They must still be using some recycled or waste wood. How have they burned for you???

I burned a bag. Not much difference as far as I ca tell. Ignition still took 10 minutes longer than my cubex or spruce. They held their shape a bit better but still look a little scraggly. Very black inside after just one bag. OUCH!

I'd like to know how they burned too, did ya try any? I got stuck with 1.5 ton of inferno's last year. I got real good at vacuuming my stove. It would be good if they improved the mix in the pellets. I doubt I would purchase them again though.

Maybe the colored particles are for a nice multicolored flame? Or maybe not???

Well I was hoping they might catch on with improving the fiber to improve overall quality. This doesn't sound to good. Maybe they will send a spy to visit NEWP's open house to see how a better pellet is made?

They will either learn or quietly disappear like Lake Region did!

j-takeman said:

Well I was hoping they might catch on with improving the fiber to improve overall quality. This doesn't sound to good. Maybe they will send a spy to visit NEWP's open house to see how a better pellet is made?

Surely you jest...

smwilliamson said:
That's right! INFERNO! Look for the blue, I'm guessing that it is the ink you find at the bottom of a 2x4 or on the back of the plywood.
2010-08-12%2010.22.04.jpg

Those pellets look quite long too, I didn't really think they (Inferno) would get it together!

Werm said:
j-takeman said:

Surely you jest...

I said better not Great! Now is they sneak a spy off to visit Bear Mountain, Cubex, Okanagan, Spruce Pointe, Hamer, Somerset and Barefoots just to name a few. :)

I'm surprised to hear you say a new bag doesn't burn good. See the pic in the inferno post I had on updates for a pic. Bags seem to be a mix of the longer stuff like you showed and lots of shorts too. I don't know how pellets are made but it's almost like something wasn't mixed the same or different speed to come out with lots of big and smalls but not mixed real well...

I had a rep drop me a sample of pellets with chewed up paper money in them, they were really cool to have to show people. I burned them and they burned just fine, although I didn't have too many to judge. Now you've got me wondering who the heck gave me those and why I ended up buring them!

Status
Not open for further replies.