Now I know why the chain went to junk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Finally got to putting the future heat to the splitter, and the prizes I found.

KC

Attachments

• wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 682
  • Wood2.jpg
    Wood2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 665
  • Wood3.jpg
    Wood3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 653
Some more pics of work in progress and my NEW trailer.

KC

Attachments

• Wood1.jpg
    Wood1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 632
  • wood5.jpg
    wood5.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 641
  • wood6.jpg
    wood6.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 621
A couple more pics.

Not really feeling like wood burning season with the swamp of rain coming in and 60 degrees on Thursday.

Damn it! I want to go skiing!

KC

Attachments

• Wood7.jpg
    Wood7.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 627
  • wood8.jpg
    wood8.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 631
Maybe OP will let you visit and have some fun. Heck, I'd even put a few beers in the fridge if you came and processed my firewood for me!

Matt

looks like time for a buckin and splittin party in central CT!!!!!!

i just had the same thing in an ash tree that was 3 trunks together. here's the kicker, i fell the first one and sparks are flying and i am only making sawdust instead of chips for the last quarter of the tree, and down it goes. i look at it and notice all the black from the nails. get a little aggrevated, but the chain was pretty old anyway. THEN i go to the truck and get a brand new chain to continue to cut down the other two trunks of the same tree. Lace on the new chain, refill gas and oil. Rip into the second trunk, cause lightening doesn't strike twice in the same spot does it?, ruin a brand new chain. what a day!! life is good....

And now you know the reason most sawmills do not want trees that grow in fence rows and/or lawns. When I was sawing lumber, if we hit one nail, that whole log came off the carriage right now. Then, of course, I had to stop and sharpen. Can any of you realize what a job it is to sharpen a big circular saw in a mill? Back then we did not have band saws.

A few years ago we had a portable mill come in for several of us. He set up on the neighbor's property and everyone took their logs to there. I remember him throwing away two bands in one morning.... That gets expensive.

The sparks didn’t tip you off?

This junk was smack int he MIDDLE of a 28 inch round. I figured it was "soil" from a bit of rot that slowed me down.

KC

iskiatomic said:
A couple more pics.

Not really feeling like wood burning season with the swamp of rain coming in and 60 degrees on Thursday.

Damn it! I want to go skiing!

KC

I think the extra large Elm Stove will fit one of those rounds as is.

iskiatomic - 02 December 2009 07:10 PM
Now I know why the chain went to junk

I can identify with this totally. I cut a lot of wood in a large campground, its amazing how many people bang nails into trees around campsites. A few weeks ago I was bucking a large poplar which had fallen in the wind when the sparks flew. Rolled it over to find a railroad spike in it. It ruined a 28" chain and my day!

I was bucking a black birch today. Rolled it over - had come within an inch of 3/8" steel bar

Status
Not open for further replies.