1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Now that it is colder

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DianeB, Dec 1, 2012.

1. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    Running the stove hotter and the glass no longer gets dirty. Finding that a 500 degree stove keeps the glass clean, and even though we may decrease air with some temp drop, the glass stays clean even throught the coaling process. Starting to understand the new stove a little bit more

Attached Files:

milleo likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I always figure if I'm not burning hot and cleanly enough to keep the glass clear, I'm probably making deposits in the chimney as well.

For the warmer weather, I try using smaller splits and less wood in general and let the stove get up to 500+. With a small load of wood, it won't last as long, the unit stays clean, and you won't heat yourself out of the house.

Love the looks of your installation. Is it smooth finished concrete that your stove is sitting on? Well done!

pen
    ailanthus likes this.
  3. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Even though we tried to burn small, we still foung the glass darkening - maybe just an issue with the Castine not known for great air wash. The stove is sitting on Blue Stone - approx. 2 inches thick that is also sitting on top of 2 courses of brick/raised hearth. The mantle is also Penn. Blue Stone.
    pen likes this.
  4. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Nice rake!
  5. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Very nice.
  6. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    That looks sweet, D!!!

Love the brick !!!
  7. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    found the rake at a stove shop in west springfield Ma. It stand up on its own which is nice.
    Even though you did not comment on the other fire tools - these are antiques I am sure. My parents bought them for me over 35 years ago during a trip they took back home to Arkansas. I imagine they were brought over from some "old country"
  8. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    The other fireplace tools are very nice. But a good size rake like that makes things a lot easier.
  9. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    It does help with this sove that loads east west. We use it to rake ash into the ash box and also at night to rake the coals forward to make space for a large rear split. Very handy for sure
  10. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    500 degree fire is a hot fire ( twice that in the firebox), your burning all the bad stuff up. I like the rake also, I need to find one.
  11. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY

I don't think 500F is a hot fire.... the PE cruises @ 700+ on the door front... the 13 cruises @ 600F stove top.
  12. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    What Im saying is 500 degrees is hot enough to keep glass clean reburn the smoke, obviously we can burn hotter.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    During the coaling stage there is nothing to make the glass black at that point. Burning marginal wood will definitely make black glass though.