1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    This may not be pretty but it would be great for heating a big farm house. Claims 200,000 BTUs and really long burn times. Given the size of that firebox, I have no doubt a big custom woodstove would blow the doors off any conventionally manufactured non-cat stove. If I had $$$ and a big property with outbuildings and such, I would be by-passing the traditional stove makers and looking for custom designers to build huge stoves that could take equally big splits.

http://www.jimbonham.com/Stove/

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If I needed that size I would rather be heating with a clean-burning stove or more likely a Caddy wood furnace that is a lot more efficient. The reduction in wood consumption alone would be worth it.
  3. firecracker_77

Loc:
    His point does make sense though. By taking a 36" log length, you are basically doing half the work. My little Heritage is good, but I do wish I have a 4 cubic firebox at times when it's 10 degrees outside and blowing.
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Seems like a different issue. From what I can gather it seems like a Mansfield would have worked better for you. That''s a quantum leap better solution.
  5. firecracker_77

Loc:
    I cannot completely disagree that one size greater would have been better. Such is life. Trial and error.
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    You would not be the first to make this error. I speak from personal experience.
  7. firecracker_77

Loc:
    I may add another stove. Seems like I can get it done for the cost of a Mansfield. I could add an Englander for $2k with install given the location and the fact that the first install needed 24 feet of pipe and the next one would need only 14 feet with about 10 feet less of class A. We'll see. Could always just run the furnace on the really cold days as my wife has pointed out. 92% high efficient natural gas. That's logical, but it feels like defeat all the same. Logic is not always what a man wants to hear.
  8. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    One issue with 36" long logs is finding a spliter that will split something that long. It would be hard to split somthing that long by hand unless it is very straigt grain. My boiler will take 30" long piecies and that's plenty long IMHO. Most spliters I've seen only go to 26"
    pen likes this.
  9. firecracker_77

Loc:
    good point
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, it looks like his source of fuel is wood slabs which he probably scrounges for free and slices to stove length.
  11. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    When I was up in Maine visiting my sister I saw an ad from a guy up there doing something similar, building a big ass stove, I remember wondering how many cords the beast would eat in a year.
    firecracker_77 likes this.
  12. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I love it - a wheel barrow half full of wood with the statement "on a small amount of fuel it will run for hours";lol
  13. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD

I am sure he will also tell you to burn a soda can in it every week to keep down the creosote. Some people just can't understand why stove manufacturers do things like put in firebrick to keep the heat in the firebox for better combustion. At least he was smart enough to put a basic baffle in that thing.
    woodsmaster likes this.