Nu-Tec CS45 coal stove info needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I am a new member and also new to coal stove heating. I bought a used Nu-Tec model CS45 coal stove on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6024338075&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
Copy and paste the above line to see it.

Made in 1989, it is a tan color with glass behind a spider-web cast door. I presently have a Vermont Castings Vigilant woodstove in my un-finished concrete cellar piped into an 8X12 cement block chimney with an orange tile liner. This chimney goes up throught the center of a 12 pitch 32X24 Cape Cod style house. I want to remove the woodstove and use the coal stove in its' place. Coal stove flue size is 6" round; I will buy a 6" into 8" thimble converter to make the connection to the chimney. I plan to use anthracite coal. I have a few questions: What size coal should I use for this stove; is this chimney too large a draft (8"X12") for a coal stove; how do I repair the finish which is chipped with rust underneath; where can I find manuals for this stove? I am sorry to burden you with my ignorance but I felt that this is the only place that I could find correct useful information. Thank-you in advance for any help and information. Jimmy Q

the coal size will vary depending on the grate size.Most of those handfired units will except pea all the way up to stove coal

The picture of the stove looks great. a few questions: Why are you removing your existing stove?
To answer the flue size, according to code since it an interior chimney a 6" flue collar appliance can be vented into an 8/12 clay flue
Math 3x 28.25= 84.75 That is the maxium cross sectional area a 6" appliance can vent into. The cross-sectional area of a common 8/12 clay flue is 76". Though allowable, that is quite a difference and may not draft correctly. Try it out if you cannot keep a fire going a 6" liner will be needed. Remember you are drafting an 8" appliance now almost twice the area of the 6". It might be unfair to expect the 6" will draft as well

Status
Not open for further replies.