NUTS! Blower blew up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2009
N. Indiana
Go to load up insert for night (Napoleon 1101). Big blue spark behind blower control knob and blower shuts off. What happened? What blew up, just the control?

I'll call dealer but I'm sure they are shut down for holidays. 3 years old so I'm sure no warranty. Big fix? Big $? Perfect timing right after holidays.

Might just be the control. Can it be bypassed temporarily? That might mean the fan running at full speed and having to unplug it to shut it off?

if you didnt trip a circuit breaker, chances are its in the fan speed control, the limit switch that turn it on and off automaticly. they can be bypassed by connecting the two wires that go to the devices. they are just a single pole switch, similar to a common light switch

Worst comes to worst, a small box fan (or any small fan) can be aimed to blow at the front glass (think bouncing off), and send the heat around.

Stop gap measure, but it works :)

UPDATE. Took trim off and checked the fan speed control switch. Nice burn mark on it so it definitely blew up. Bypassed switch by wire nutting - fan works fine (just no control of speed). Nice temporary fix.

So have to get a new variable speed control switch/knob (part kb-36). Any suggestions for online parts suppliers?

indiana4spartans said:
UPDATE. Took trim off and checked the fan speed control switch. Nice burn mark on it so it definitely blew up. Bypassed switch by wire nutting - fan works fine (just no control of speed). Nice temporary fix.

So have to get a new variable speed control switch/knob (part kb-36). Any suggestions for online parts suppliers?

Here is one on eBay for $24.99 + $3.91 shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.