1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. pourlepayssauvage

pourlepayssauvage New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Maine
    Second atypical snow storm here in Maine this winter and with all the blowing and drifting snow this is the second time its covered my OAK and I've woken up to an overflowing burnpot with fire thinking about starting up the auger tube and had to venture out and dig it out. The snow is drifted in about waist deep. Any ideas on how I can keep it functioning during weather like this? I tried to keep it getting air by leaning a board over it hoping to keep an air pocket there but with this blizzard that idea didn't work at all. Anyone else having this issue?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dollabill

Dollabill New Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    Id say either your going back out and dig until this is over ! We havent had snow like this in a long time ! otherwise next year install something like a snow fence ! Here inland we've got around 18 inches and its dtill falling ! Goo Luck !!
  3. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I shut my stove off last night the fact that I wanted my upstairs very warm in case we lost power in the middle of the night I could make it until morning without my kids freezing. And my concern over the oak getting covered. This morning the OAK's completely covered up. Although it may have stayed free if the stove was running. My oak is 5ft off the ground.. Yes my drift is that high.
  4. movemaine

movemaine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    It would be nice if there was some sort of switch/bypass to have the stove run off of OAK or interior draw.
  5. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Why not just disconnect it at the stove and let it draw from inside the house? Not familiar with your stove, but I can easily do this if needed.
    mepellet and The Ds like this.
  6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

yup....nearly all installs, this would take, what, 30 seconds?
    mepellet likes this.
  7. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Is there like a "Y" pipe with a damper in it? That way, you can run the OAK open and the inside branch closed. When the weather may close over the intake on the OAK outside the house, just throw the lever over to close off the OAK intake and open the inside intake. I wonder if anyone makes one.
  8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

there ya go, a new invention! Quit your old job, produce these....easy street is yours!
  9. Jason Knapp

Jason Knapp Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I had the same problem. I took a spray paint can top, removed the guts and cut a 2" piece out of the side of it. Then i used foil tape to secure it to my OAK. The diameter of the can top is perfect and the 2" slot allowed plenty of air to get in. I woke up this morning, and the OAK was clean as could be.
    I was still having a slight issue with a dirty burn, so i did a complete cleaning on the stove, including the vent pipe. Good to go!
    pourlepayssauvage likes this.
  10. Ejectr

Ejectr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brimfield, MA
    Did a search and found this thread with a photo..
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/4-oak-flex-pipe-y-valve-damper.101473/
  11. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Funny you posted this. I just came in from plowing and my daughter mentioned that the water wasn't very hot. When I was shoveling I noticed that the direct vent for our oil furnace was covered. We only use it for hot water since we got the p61.

Well I just got done unthawing it with a blow dryer. It was frozen. This is the first time since we built the house that this has happened. It doesn't cycle as much since we got the stove so it had time to cool and freeze. Gonna pay closer attention in the next storm.
  12. pourlepayssauvage

pourlepayssauvage New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Maine
    I finally gave up and unhooked it from the stove - even after keeping it clear it was sucking snow onto the screen and plugging up. Englander says this stove has to be run with an OAK - but I hope that's just because it can use up all the air in the room - this place is far from being tight so I don't suspect there is any danger of that - I can't think of any other consequences of not having it hooked up. I like the spray can top idea - someday when it's not 13 degrees and a blizzard I'll give it a try.
    Jason Knapp likes this.